Re: Windows-to-Linux Migration Tool Contributed to Open Source Community

  • Subject: Re: Windows-to-Linux Migration Tool Contributed to Open Source Community
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 21 Aug 2006 16:42:29 +0100
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
__/ [ nessuno@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx ] on Monday 21 August 2006 16:26 \__

> Oliver Wong wrote:
>> "Roy Schestowitz" <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message
>> > __/ [ Oliver Wong ] on Friday 18 August 2006 21:55 \__

>> > If you are being specific here (I can't answer the broader question, but
>> > there you have the project's homepage), for mail migration, install
>> > Thunderbird on Windows. Let the first-launch wizard import all the data
>> > _and_ settings from Outlook (yes, it'll do just that) and then cease to
>> > use
>> > Outlook (unless you keep messages on the servers, thereby staying
>> > in-sync on
>> > both clients).
>> >
>> > Later, you can simply graft your Thunderbird directory from Windows onto
>> > Linux. Thunderbird does not mind which platform that directory was
>> > generated
>> > on. And voila! Your entire Outlook/Windows->Thunderbird/Linux migration
>> > is complete.
>>
>>     I was being general, but this is a neat trick I hadn't thought of.
>> Thanks.
>>
>>     However, AFAIK, this will not copy over the calendering info in
>>     Outlook,
>> right? I'm still anxiously awaiting for Mozilla's combined calendar/e-mail
>> application
>> (http://www.mozilla.org/projects/calendar/lightning/index.html). I also
>> maintain a TODO list in Outlook, but that can easily be manually migrated
>> to any other app.
>>
>> > Start shopping for the Thunderbird extensions and themes that will
>> > make Outlook look like trash you will never wish to return to.
>> > Everything Outlook does, Thunderbird does as well (and much beyond
>> > that).
>>
>>     Not yet, but hopefully soon.

I beg to differ. As you are not using Thunderbird, I doubt you are qualified
to argue so. With /extensions/, Thunderbird has all the functionality you
find in Outlook (the calendar and Exchange server might be an exception) and
/more/. Thunderbird looks better than Outlook when equipped with your theme
of choice. But extensions that contribute function make all the difference
in the world*. In fact, I argued that back in 2004 <
http://schestowitz.com/Weblog/archives/2004/12/09/outlook-versus-thunderbird/
> when Thunderbird was less mature and its community was much smaller.

* Same with Firefox, which gains advantage over Safari, Opera and others
owing to its development community/network.

> I don't know if this is relevant to you, but I could never find a way
> of importing Evolution address book etc into Thunderbird.

I haven't explored Evolution in depth, but if it exports data as text (CSV),
LDIF or .tab, then you should be able to import it all into Thunderbird. I
bet VCF should be no exception. KMail, for example, uses VCF...

roy@BAINE:~/.kde/share/apps/kabc> less std.vcf

,----
| BEGIN:VCARD
| VERSION:3.0
| UID:tic4wqMty
| EMAIL:accommodation@xxxxxxxxx
| N:;Accommodation Office;;;
| REV:2004-12-10T08:49:26Z
| CLASS:PRIVATE
| END:VCARD
|
| BEGIN:VCARD
| VERSION:3.0
| UID:SEUGYc52r
| EMAIL:schalk@xxxxxxxxxxxx
| N:;Andrea Schalk;;;
| REV:2004-12-10T08:49:26Z
| CLASS:PRIVATE
| END:VCARD

Thunderbird also imports Outlook and Outlook Express address books. Settings
and mail are no exception. It's a shame that Mozilla's focus has become
migration from Windows and Microsoft applications rather than Open Source
and Linux. In fact, development seems to have shifted balance to those who
are least privileged in a sense (as they contributed the least).

Best wishes,

Roy S. Schestowitz, Ph.D. Candidate in Medical Biophysics