Re: [News] AMD Gains Ground at Wintel's Expense

Roy Schestowitz wrote:

> Major job jitters hit Intel staff
>
> ,----[ Quote ]
> | According to one source, thousands of jobs may go in Intel EMEA,
> | partly as a result of the proposed AMD ATI merger.
> `----
>
> http://www.theinquirer.net/default.aspx?article=33799

I can understand their nervousness, amd-ati is a pretty major move. Not
least has major possibilities in the laptop/handheld area, the growth of
handhelds in the phone world is a very major market.

But it has to be said that Intel have had a lot of time to go for similar
moves. More recently the slow pace they took with 64bit, it was hard to
understand what they were playing at, my assumption was that they were
going to come out, trumpets blazing, lights flashing with a Kick Arse 64bit
CPU for clients that would win back the market.

But they sort of sneak them out, as if embarrassed because although they
still have the edge on multi threaded systems and cooling (obviously learnt
from the server side), it's not much of an edge on a client, then the rest
of the charts they don't really do terribly well. They get top for cooling,
but bottom for power consumption for example, well if your going to eat gas
you have to learn cooling techniques don't you.

Intel were right to concentrate for a time on the server side, big money to
be made and with the growth of the smaller servers it was worth their
while, but at the expense of the client side was risky business not keeping
an eye on both markets.