Re: [News] PlayStation 3 Linux Support Augmented by Sony

> __/ [ Quantum Leaper ] on Friday 08 December 2006 17:16 \__
>

>> "Mark Kent" <mark.kent@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message
>>> begin  oe_protect.scr
>>> amicus_curious <ACDC@xxxxxxx> espoused:

>>> They, Sony, don't write the games.  Others do.
>>>
>> True,  but they get money from every game that is sold.  Its called a
>> licensing fee.

>>> Because their internal developers are different to the ones writing
>>> games.  The job of their internal ones is to make the platform as
>>> attractive as possible to *all* developers, which is what they're doing.
>>> It's not a distraction, they're doing their job.
>>>
>> Why haven't they released a linux driver for the graphics chip in the
>> PS3?
>
> Who said they would not? Some people have voiced complaints about that. If
> the PS3 catches on, which it /will/ once manufacturing/supplies have no
> barriers, Sony will see the demand from the customer and react
> appropriately. Then, the only worry, to them, is the fact that they
> facilitate gaming that's independent from the firmware. Gamemakers might
> not
> be happy, but Sony has a lot to earn from Blu-ray, VoD, etc. Sony could
> also
> tell gamemakers that the appeal of the unit (it's more than just a gaming
> console) as a whole broadens the market for the commercial games. And
> that's
> all that matters, IMHO.

Why would they want the competition,  it would hurt their game sales.   I
still doubt PS3 will even come close to selling as many as last generation,
at least until they drop the price to under $300.   By that time MS and
Nintendo will have a very big lead.  95% of the people will buy it for a
gaming console,   some will use it as a cheap BR player,  very few will use
it a computer or multimedia system.  I do wonder why Sony didn't start stock
piling supplies last year,  considering the orginal launch date was March in
Japan?   They could have launched and did a frimware update for the Blu-Ray
at a later date...