Re: [News] PlayStation 3's with Linux Preinstalled Have Begun Being Shipped

__/ [ Mark Kent ] on Thursday 07 December 2006 13:52 \__

http://www.terrasoftsolutions.com/store/index.php?submit=hardware&submitimg[hardware][sony]=1

>> The memory is the only sore spot here.  Not enough.  Otherwise it would
>> be a pretty good computer to have.
>>

> The question is, not enough for what?  This isn't running Windows, it's
> running linux when being used as a computer, and being used by ordinary
> normal people for ordinary normal things.  Whilst I agree that 256M does
> seem to be on the low side, I'm not sure that it'll be a real problem
> for its target market.

I have 256 MB at home. Been running that machine for over a year. KDE and
GNOME sometimes work in parallel and I have 8 virtual desktops on that box.
Enlightenment can certainly cope. As a 'living room' PC, you would not
expect it to do much memory- and CPU-intensive stuff. It's a mom-and-pop
(and child) machine. Computer pros get a full scale PC. Also think OLPC for
the sake of this argument.