[News] Novell-Microsoft Formats Agreement a One-Way Trap

Novell: We'll help Microsoft develop ODF compatibility in Office, if they ask
                                                                  ^^^^^^^^^^^

,----[ Quote ]
| Is there going to be some sort of reciprocal support for the
| OpenDocument Format in Microsoft Office that you're going to help
| them install?... Novell VP Justin Steinman: Steinman: You're going
| to have to ask Microsoft for any information about their product
| road map. I'm not a Microsoft employee. So I can't comment on what
| direction their products are going to take. If Microsoft decided
| that they did want to include support for ODF inside Microsoft
| Office, we would of course help them with that coding, because
| that's again in our best interest.
`----

http://blogs.zdnet.com/Berlind/?p=210

So, to Microsoft, interoperability deals were all about shoving their XML
/mess/ (yes, it's a mess) into Free Open Source packages as means of
weakening the ISO standard (ODF) and creating lockins/incompatibilties (e.g.
AbiWord, KOffice).

Related:

"Taking Microsoft's ODF Plugin for a Spin... Splat"