Re: [News] Windows Insecurities Get School Computers Confiscated

__/ [ Mark Kent ] on Wednesday 06 December 2006 20:15 \__

> begin  oe_protect.scr
>> They are confiscating my computers
>>
>> ,----[ Quote ]
>>| The problem here is that the new virus software does not run on
>>| Windows 98, and therefore these machines will be out of sync
>>| with the district, and therefore not compliant with district
>>| policy.
>> `----
>>
>> http://opensource.christophercraft.com/?p=73
>>
>> I have been following this blog for a while. He had Linux (Edubuntu)
>> installed on all the computers, but was forced to change to Windows
>> because of stupid school/regional policies. Now they wish to dump these
>> PC's... just because Windows is so easy to compromise.
>
> Budget to burn, some places.

Speaking of Open Source in schools, I have just met Iain down at the pub and
they got over 60 MP's to sign in consent/favour of Open Source in education.
I asked him to add you to the mailing list and I'll reminder him again if
necessary. A true difference is truly being made, even though Microsoft is
having lunch with BECTA and politicians, so there's lobbying to fight. And
it's them who have the fat budgets to influence politics... Arghhh...

Best wishes,

Roy S. Schestowitz      |    GPL'd Reversi: http://othellomaster.com
roy      pts/8                         Wed Dec  6 15:32 - 15:32  (00:00)