[News] GPL-Licensed Java Well Overdue

The Unwritten Story Of Open Source Java

,----[ Quote ]
| What Sun finally did this week by releasing Java under GPL
| was a historic event. Using the GPL instead of yet another
| Sun license certainly makes adoption that much easier. But
| why did it take so long and why the change now?
|
| I left Sun in 2004 after 8 fun years at Javasoft. Open
| Source Java was a annual discussion at Sun and in many
| conversations with open source advocates and companies.
`----

http://linux.sys-con.com/read/308452.htm

Related:

101 Reasons Why Java is Better than .NET (Reloaded)

,----[ Quote ]
| # Public Domain APIs - Any Java public apis are part of the public
| domain, .NET apis are proprietary and can open the door to a law suit.
|
| # Standard Library Source Code Availability - Java source code for the
| core libraries are available in every J2SDK distribution, .NET sources
| can only be seen by resorting to illegal means.
`----

http://www.helpdesk-software.ws/it/29-04-2004.htm

Developers Embrace Java, Drop Visual Basic

,----[ Quote ]
| Use of Visual Basic has dropped 35% since the spring, says a
| poll of more than 430 North American developers done by research
| company Evans Data.
|
| [...]
|
| Developers have abandoned Microsoft's Visual Basic in droves
| during the last six months, and they're using Java more than any
| other development language, according to a recently published
| survey.
`----

http://www.informationweek.com/software/showArticle.jhtml?articleID=196600515

TIOBE Programming Community Index for November 2006

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://www.tiobe.com/index.htm?tiobe_index