[News] OpenOffice.org Rewards Community for Contributions

OpenOffice.org announces contest winners

,----[ Quote ]
| OpenOffice.org has announced the winners of its template and
| clipart contest. The judges distributed a total of five cash
| prizes totalling $1,700 for templates, and three cash prizes
| totalling $1,300 for clipart, as well as two Honorable
| Mentions for templates. In addition, the project will
| send T-shirts and other OpenOffice.org merchandise to many
| of the other entrants.
`----

http://applications.linux.com/applications/06/11/30/1638215.shtml?tid=13

How does Microsoft reward its contributers and testers? Free licences. Any
dough? Zilch. Oh, wait. We don't need licenses for Free software, so we get
the keep the money...

Related:

100,000,000 OpenOffice.org fans can't be wrong

,----[ Quote ]
| Simon's official response explained the business rationale behind
| offering support for OpenOffice.org: "OpenOffice.org has become
| phenomenally successful, Sun alone has shipped more than 70 million
| copies of OpenOffice.org 2.0," he said. "Out there, there
| are maybe 100 million copies of OpenOffice.org. It would be
| senseless to ignore that opportunity."
`----

http://www.businessreviewonline.com/os/archives/2006/11/100000000_openo.html

I have been installing OpenOffice from the Ubuntu CD-ROM, so given that
others do likewise, the number of installations can easily exceed that
conservative estimate.