Re: [News] Pakistan Shows Interest in $100 Linux Laptops

begin  oe_protect.scr
> Pakistani students might be using $100 laptop next year
>
> ,----[ Quote ]
>| Pakistan Wednesday expressed its resolve to introduce an
>| enabling atmosphere to the country's schools and colleges
>| to allow students to use low-cost laptops which would
>| serve as electronic school bags.
> `----
>
> http://paktribune.com/news/index.shtml?161609

I can't imagine a more powerful tool which you could put in the hands of
kids in countries where you have a significant proportion of the
population on very low incomes.  If nothing else, the need for pencil
and paper is greatly reduced, which must be good!

> Related and recent:
>
> Pakistan looks to free software
>
> ,----[ Quote ]
>| Pakistan, a country often criticised for software piracy, is
>| looking at free and open source software as a way to transform
>| its image and build local skills.
> `----
>
> http://www.tectonic.co.za/view.php?src=rss&id=1262
>

> Pakistan takes to alternative software
>
> ,----[ Quote ]
>| Pakistan, often criticised for software 'piracy', is
>| placing its faith on the Free Software and Open Source
>| options to get out of this trap and also build local skills.
>|
>| Also called Free/Libre and Open-Source Software (FLOSS),
>| it is a family of software liberally licensed to grant
>| the right of users to study, change and improve its
>| design through the availability of its source code.
>|
>| [...]
>|
>| In Pakistan, the attempt is also to build skills.
>| FOSS-FP has been holding short-duration, single-day
>| literacy campaigns. 'We give (students) free training
>| on installing and using Ubuntu Linux, Open Suse, Red Hat
>| Fedora Core,' Bajwa said.
> `----
>
> http://www.indiaenews.com/technology/20061024/26059.htm
>

> The First International Conference on Open-Source Technologies
>
> ,----[ Quote ]
>| Open-Source Software Engineering (OSSE) has emerged as a
>| cross-disciplinary paradigm for distributed enterprise
>| computing. OSS, in many cases, has kept the software market
>| away from monopolies. It is helping organizations to keep
>| a control on the cost of development and deployment.
> `----
>
> http://uet.edu.pk/icost2006/

People humiliating a salami!