[News] Eclectic Rants Du Jour (or "Why Linux is Still Better")

  • Subject: [News] Eclectic Rants Du Jour (or "Why Linux is Still Better")
  • From: "Roy Schestowitz" <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: 1 Dec 2006 01:35:12 -0800
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
Security issues as usual...

Zune Hack: Share That Song Again in Five Easy Steps

,----[ Quote ]
| You knew this was inevitable: a way to disavow any knowledge of
| a transferred song on the Microsoft Zune, circumventing that
| share-once restriction in the player's WiFi routine.
`----

http://www.gizmodo.com/gadgets/portable-media/zune-hack-share-that-song-again-in-five-easy-steps-218251.php?

Look what they did to Gamespot.com...

I'd hate to be the guy responsible for this mashup...

,----[ Quote ]
| I know I work at Microsoft now, so many of you may think I'm
| biased, but this is just funny.
`----

http://stephenvanterpool.blogspot.com/2006/11/id-hate-to-be-guy-responsible-for-this.html

The usual bugs and usability issues...

15 Simple Ways Microsoft Could Improve Computing

,----[ Quote ]
| I think there are some very simple updates to XP, IE, and Office
| 2003 that could drastically improve the overall computing experience.

| In no particular order...
`----

http://www.livedigitally.com/2006/11/30/15-simple-ways-microsoft-could-improve-computing/

Vista Activation a PITA...

http://www.microsoft.com/technet/windowsvista/plan/volact1.mspx

Lastly, rip off those whom you can, because you have a monopoly
going...

Brits to pay 70 per cent more for Office 2007

,----[ Quote ]
| Confidential Microsoft figures reveal the estimated retail price
| of Office 2007 Ultimate edition in the UK will be a staggering £600
| - 68 per cent more expensive than Microsoft's suggested US retail
| price, based on current exchange rates.
`----

http://www.pcpro.co.uk/news/98967/brits-to-pay-70-more-for-office-2007.html

These are the overcharging issues, for which Microsoft is repeatedly
getting sued in the United States.

Related:

Leaked price information about Windows Vista: 'only' 723 dollar...

,----[ Quote ]
| Today Microsoft leaked information about the upcoming Vista release
| in Europe. Windows Vista Ultimate Edition will be sold for 'only' $
723
`----

http://digg.com/tech_news/Leaked_price_information_about_Windows_Vista_only_723_dollar