Re: *scratches head* @ linux.com

  • Subject: Re: *scratches head* @ linux.com
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 20 Dec 2006 13:42:31 +0000
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
__/ [ Kier ] on Wednesday 20 December 2006 13:13 \__

> On Wed, 20 Dec 2006 14:03:14 +0100, High Plains Thumper wrote:
>
>> "Alex" wrote:
>>
>>> Earlier this morning I visited http://www.linux.com, and to
>>> my surprise there was a huge Microsoft banner add on the
>>> top page and right in the middle.  It's been a while since
>>> I visited this site, but what's up with that?  Is linux.com
>>> so despirate they must take revenue from Microsoft, or is
>>> Microsoft so scared that they have to plug their ads on
>>> every Linux site?  I remember when Linux Magazine started
>>> showing Microsoft ads, and there was a huge backlash.
>>>
>>> Just something odd I noticed.
>>
>> It isn't there now.  Only ads are HP and IBM as sponsors,
>> about 2/3rds the way down.
>
> Microsoft Dynamics, whatever that is. Just had a quick look myself. I
> wouldn't callit huge, though.

The same paplies to Slashdot. Same (commercial) owners.

Slashdot promotes windows!

,----[ Quote ]
| This ad appeared on this mornings reload of Slashdot.org. It
| ran big bold headlines "LONDON STOCK EXCHANGE CHOOSES WINDOWS
| OVER LINUX FOR RELIABILITY!" and stopped at the frame shown here.
| The implication is "Windows is more reliable than Linux in server
| environments. You should run Windows Server 2003 if you want to
| succeed."
`----

http://planet-geek.com/archives/003510.html

Can you imagine Linux ads in Microsoft's turf? Money still makes the world go
round. Marketing/brainwash can defeat merits and values.

While on this topic, and having mentioned the above...

Fighting Claims That Open Source Is Insecure?

,----[ Quote ]
| Lately there has been a HUGE push by Certified Microsoft
| Professionals and their companies to call clients and warn
| them of the dangers of open source. This week I received calls
| from 4 different customers that they were warned that they are
| dangerously insecure because they run Open Source Operating
| systems or Software because 'anyone can read the code and hack
| you with ease' they are being told. Other colleagues in the area
| also have noticed this about 3 Microsoft Partners or so they claim
| have been going out of their way to strike fear of OSS in
| companies that respond with 'yes we use Open source or Linux'
| when the sales call comes in.
`----

http://ask.slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=06/12/01/0413212&from=rss

Reviewing a Microsoft anti-Linux case study

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://blogs.zdnet.com/Murphy/index.php?p=739

--
                        ~~ Kind greetings and happy holidays!

Welcome to standards-compliant Web browsing. http://www.spreadfirefox.com/
roy      pts/6                         Tue Dec 19 12:24 - 12:24  (00:00)