Re: [News] School District Replaces Macs with Open Source Software

__/ [ Mark Kent ] on Wednesday 20 December 2006 07:52 \__

> begin  oe_protect.scr
>> School District Dropping Macs for More "Appropriate Technology"
>>
>> ,----[ Quote ]
>>| Mr. Willard's Mac-free schools will also use open source software
>>| from Lenox Softworks. The combination of Windows plus open source
>>| software, he said, will prevent students from downloading music
>>| and movies to the computers.
>>|
>>| Some Macs will be allowed to stay in elementary and middle schools
>>| in concentrated areas, but it looks like high schools will have to
>>| do without.
>> `----
>>
>> http://www.macobserver.com/article/2006/12/18.4.shtml
>
> Using Windows will /prevent/ students from doing things... fascinating.
> Of course, it'll permit all manner of other people to use the machines,
> but the requirement is that they come in over the network.

I've heard of hospitals becoming a botnets, but not schools. In any event,
the decision-maker seems clueless. For the majority of people who use Macs
or /wish/ to explore alternatives *gasp* there would at least be Mac
options. Isn't learning about choice and exploration? I guess they would
rather lock it all down. More like boot camp. Before you know it they'll
remove all the drinks (except for Coca Cola) from the vendign machines,
including water. Then they'll disable all the faucets.

--
                        ~~ Kind greetings and happy holidays!

Roy S. Schestowitz      | HTML is for page layout, not for textual messages
  9:00am  up 62 days 19:14,  8 users,  load average: 0.32, 0.16, 0.31