[News] The Role of Linux and the GPL in Web 2.0

You change the World 2.0

,----[ Quote ]
| They even tried to bend it to somehow impose their control over
| it and make it their own, like Microsoft is trying to these days,
| but they fail because of another novelty, a "License 2.0" if you
| will (even though the license's new version is actually the third
| one), the GNU GPL legal shield being revised today in a true 2.0
| fashion, through an open and cooperative process.
`----

http://www.libervis.com/you_change_the_world_2_0

Related:

Winning OpenSource Frameworks in Web 2.0

,----[ Quote ]
| When I started computing more than a decade ago I remember it took me weeks
| to learn a new program for self-expression, calculation or collaboration.
| Today it's fun, it takes me about five minutes total, it doesn't require
| any skills and within seconds I can take part in a worldwide distributed
| live-communication.
|
| [...]
|
| The open source community provides various tools that offer a useful
| environment for complex Web 2.0 applications and can help an organization
|
|     * take advantage of the new social and workplace trends
|     * lower costs and improve functionality
|     * embrace innovative new products, services and applications
|     * increase knowledge and capability
`----

http://andreasengel.com/2006/08/winning-opensource-frameworks-in-web.html

SOA + RIA + OSS = Web 2.0

,----[ Quote ]
| Open source software is the underpinning of many SOA and RIA solutions.
| Open source software is the dominant solution for Ajax RIA interfaces...
| Web 2.0 is also about collaboration and using the Internet as a social
| network. It is hard to find a better example of this spirit than within
| the open source communities. Open source software is built socially.
| Communication and transparency are core values of an open source
| project.
`----

http://searchwebservices.techtarget.com/tip/0,289483,sid26_gci1215261,00.html

'MySQL, Linux powers Web 2.0' - O'Reilly

,----[ Quote ]
| Without Linux, Apache, MySQL and PHP many Web 2.0 companies would not
| exist today. This is according to Tim O'Reilly, CEO of O'Reilly Media and
| the person most often credited for coining the term Web 2.0.
`----

http://www.tectonic.co.za/view.php?id=1125

Web 2.0 Companies choose MySQL

http://www.theopenforce.com/2006/07/alwayson_confer.html