Re: LONG [News Digest] Linux News Digest for the 24hrs preceeding 17-12-06

begin  oe_protect.scr
The Ghost In The Machine <ewill@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> espoused:
> In comp.os.linux.advocacy, Jamie Hart
><usenet@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
>  wrote
> on Tue, 19 Dec 2006 14:42:22 +0000
><1166539342.24546.0@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>:
>> cc wrote:
>>

>>> Oh I disagree 100%. Weaknesses of Linux have to be shown, otherwise how
>>> will it improve?
>>
>> I agree, but this is not the place for such.  This is an advocacy group,
>> it is a place for advocating linux not for pointing out linux failings.
>
> One way of advocating Linux, or improvements thereto,
> is by pointing out specific Linux failings (in detail,
> if MEGO doesn't happen :-) ) and then doing the obvious
> thing, namely improving them. :-)  Were more of this to
> happen COLA would in fact be a happier place; as it is,
> I see too much of
>
>    - Linux sucks.
>
>    - Help, my unspecified motherboard with my unspecified CPU cannot
>      boot my unspecified distro which I installed using an unspecified
>      procedure!  Can any of you unspecified people help?
>
>    - Duh, how does Word work on Linux again?
>
>    - Linux really really sucks.
>
>    - You are a prick since <insert random something here>.
>      Oh yeah?  Well, you're a jerk because <insert another here>.
>      And you're a <insert another here>
>      and <insert>
>      and <so on>
>      and <so on>
>
>    - You know, OSX/FreeBSD/Windows is much better than Linux.
>
>    - Did I mention Linux sucks?
>
>    - Uh, how do I use my computer's cup holder?
>
>    - Obviously, Linux is trying to clone Windows innovations.
>
> (This is of course a paraphrasing; I'm not about to go digging.)
>
> Personally, I think Linux is a very good solution but
> does have some deficiencies;

<snip>

A good summary.  I have /no problem/ with honest articles indicating
issues and problems in linux.  I've posted several myself.  However, I
will /not/ engage in discussion with the trolls about such matters, as
they are, by their very nature, dishonest and untrustworthy.  At most,
one is likely to get a dose of the latest Microsoft FUD, at best,
jeering and abuse.

If there are actual bugs/faults/problems with linux, distros or related
material, then they should be posted/highlighted/reported in the
appropriate fora.  Debian bug-tracking would be one example of such.
cola is /no/ replacement for Debian bug-tracking.

If Microsoft had an equivalent to the bug-tracking systems which have
characterised FLOSS development for the last 10-15 years, then much of
the reason for COLA's existence would go; however, it's not possible
to report bugs in any meaningful and visible way to Microsoft, indeed,
there are numerous examples of irritating but trivial items which went
years without resolution, including the infamous "begin" bug in Outlook.

Anyway, this started with a complaint that I'd not carried an anti-charter
News article in the Digest, well, my position remains the same, I
will not do so.  If people such as Mr Nudds and others wish to post
anti-cola-charter News articles, then they should find the appropriate
group for such material.  The charter of this group is quite clear, HPT
points this out on a regular basis, and Roy C posts the charter itself
every week.  Anti-charter articles /will/ be edited out.  On the other
hand, pro-charter articles will be included, so long as they're not from
posters who are filtered at the leafnode level.

If anyone else wishes to have articles included in the Digest, just use
the header format as per Roy S, with [News] at the start of the subject
line.

I will make you shorter by the head.
		-- Elizabeth I