Re: [News] Linux Goes to Space

On Tue, 19 Dec 2006 12:53:54 -0800
The Ghost In The Machine <ewill@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> In comp.os.linux.advocacy, ed
> <ed@xxxxxxxxxxx>
>  wrote
> on Tue, 19 Dec 2006 19:43:22 GMT
> <20061219194239.0de67d51@ed-desktop>:
> >
> > NT has been in space before. It BSOD. My google foo is not strong
> > today. Lets hope it's not going to be a repeat of the USS "BUTTNUTT"
> > Yorktown.
>
> My google foo (interesting way of putting it) is worsened
> by the fact that there's a Toshiba Satellite laptop;
> guess what Google is keying on?  :-)  Fortunately, a
> '-Toshiba' filters out the worst of that issue.

your google foo is strong today ;)

> I did find
>
> http://news.thomasnet.com/IMT/archives/2005/03/microsoft_chair_1.html?t=archive
>
> which describes Windows XP Final Frontier Edition.
>
> (It's a spoof, of course.)
>
> I also found
>
> http://worldwind.arc.nasa.gov/
>
> which apparently is a .NET/DirectX based viewing engine.  I'll admit
> to some interest as to how grody the source is, and whether it can be
> retrofitted to OpenGL; apparently they've not bothered (yet).
>
> http://www.theinquirer.net/default.aspx?article=13183
>
> makes the rather strange claim that Powerpoint was
> partially responsible for the Columbia breakup -- mostly
> because a slide confused the managers.
>
> http://it.slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=03/08/21/1343227&mode=thread&tid=109&tid=126&tid=128&tid=172&tid=187
>
> makes the even stranger claim that Slammer crashed a
> nuclear plant in Ohio.  (I suppose it's possible, but why
> would SQL Server be anywhere near the plant's control
> system?)

i read about this some time ago... i dont think the core was controlled
from the same system. those systems are nearly always ADA based from
the ground up. they do not trust that with something that is designed
for SOHO offices. normally it's a good UNIX/VMS system that does any of
that control.

ever since a human caused air traffic collision back in the 90's air
traffic control have felt less of a duty to ensure safety via
computers, after all, if you can get blame a human for the problem,
that's cheaper than doing a computer fit that runs into the millions?

> http://www.gcn.com/print/vol20_no16/4507-1.html
>
> indicates an upgrade from NT to 2000 Server for the Deep Space
> Network satellite tracking systems, and, on a more relevant
> note:
>
> http://www.extremetech.com/article2/0,1697,1638764,00.asp
>
> gives some indication as to the rover problem that nearly
> killed them; turned out to be FAT being flabby.  (AFAIK,
> the rovers still live yet; this article was published more
> than two years ago.)
>
> http://asr.arc.nasa.gov/publications/pdf/0647.pdf
>
> mentions the Ariane 501 rocket failure and the crashing
> of the Mars Polar Lander, then goes into a presentation
> of static code analysis.  (I would hope to see this in
> Gentoo, though it appears to integrate with a database --
> PostgreSQL -- and something called PVM.  I can see PVM --
> packages.gentoo.org says it's a 'parallel virtual machine'
> -- but not cgs.  A google search for 'cgsfe' coughed
> up nothing.
>
> Ah, the Web, distracts the unwary in hundreds if not thousands of
> different ways... :-)

i wish i could find the recordings from 1998 or whenever where the
audio from the space station was recorded where an officer had to deal
with a BSOD on their computer system.

whoever was up there orbiting must have had balls of steel to think
that they entrusted their lives to something that could not function on
a day-to-day basis, let alone help them back to ground. i know it's on
the DHBiT recordings, but there's about 100 hours of audio combined
there.

--
Regards, Ed                      :: http://www.linuxwarez.co.uk
just another unix hacker