Re: COLA Stats 17 Dec 2006

On Tue, 19 Dec 2006 08:39:50 +0000, Mark Kent wrote:

> begin  oe_protect.scr
> William Poaster <wp@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> espoused:
>> On Mon, 18 Dec 2006 14:04:46 +0000, Roy Schestowitz wrote:
>>
>>> __/ [ cc ] on Monday 18 December 2006 13:41 \__

>>> http://groups.google.com/group/comp.os.linux.advocacy/msg/d15e2c554d331322?dmode=source&hl=en

>> The labels TROLL, IDIOT, and RACIST are good descriptions IMO & let a
>> newbie to the group know *exactly* who is what. If teh wintrolls,
>> mactrolls & shills don't like it, they can always leave. They wouldn't
>> be missed.
>
> Of course, if they respected the charter, and behaved as reasonable
> gentlemen (and ladies, on those rare occasions that females are not, in
> fact, Gary Stewart having a feminine moment), then they'd not be in the
> list at all.

There are some groups which *deliberately* leave out trolls from their
stats. Even though they whine about being labelled (in here) they are at
least listed.

>>> That incident happened yesterday, so it was fresh in my mind. I used it
>>> to argue a broader point.
>>
>> Which the OP apparently didn't like, hence the snip.
>>

> Didn't like it at all, did he?  I thought it raised a very interesting
> point about how small computing shops have been doing business for a very
> long time.

Yes, it did! :-)
My local one has been doing business for about 11/12 years, & has even
opened a branch in another nearby town. I usually get my machine
components from them, along with CD/DVD blanks.

Quite some time ago, I showed him a SuSE Live-CD working on one of his
machines. He was quite impressed. I asked if I could leave some copies on
his counter, for anyone to take & try. I'm glad to say he was agreeable
:-) Graham is now using one of his display Windows machines to run a
Kubuntu Live-CD, alongside one running Win eX-Pee. Although his main trade
is mostly Windows, he says that there is an increasing interest in other
OSs from his regular customers. So every so often I'll drop in & leave a
few more Kubuntu Live-CDs on the counter, along with a leaflet explaining
such basic things as: why linux doesn't need an AV, you can install it on
as many machines as you like (without the worry of extra licences), no
defragging drives, no need to run adware/spyware applications, etc..etc. I
also gave him the local LUG address, for anyone interested in coming to
Linux Install Days. There has been a slow, but steady, increase in people
attending them. :-)

--
When I hear of a long time smoker dying of lung cancer
I think "That's too bad, but they made their choices".