Re: [News] Microsoft Patents Crippleware?

__/ [ Phil Da Lick! ] on Monday 18 December 2006 09:23 \__

http://www.istartedsomething.com.nyud.net:8080/20061215/pay-as-you-go-os-patent/

http://news.softpedia.com/news/Microsoft-To-Release-Modular-Operating-Systems-42462.shtml

> that will be the death of windows

I thought it had died well before the anti-piracy measures were put in place.
It probably died in 2004 when the engineers could no longer cope with the
messy code (culmination of a disaster), scraped Longhorn and decided to
build a nice gown for Windows XP (Server 2003) instead.

Security in Vista? My arse security... zero-day exploits for Vista are
already being auctioned. It's a Mac OS-esque gown. And a bunch of 'features'
nobody will ever bother to use.. not to mention 'fun' features like WGA, IE7
spying on the user, DRM and 'Trusted' Computing (industry controls the
user.. more effective than squeezing Windows 98/200/ME users to urge more
spendings... by adding explicit checks the the installers and 'punishing'
them... until they buy a new PC with a shackling Vista reploaded).

While I'm at it, bear in mind that after 5 years, despite sinking hardware
costs, a 'Vista PC' costs 20% more than an 'XP PC' back in 2001.

--
                        ~~ Kind greetings and happy holidays!

Roy S. Schestowitz      |    Coffee makes mw to0 jittery
 10:00am  up 60 days 20:14,  8 users,  load average: 0.23, 0.35, 0.48