[News] Microsoft Analysts Say: Windows/Office Anti-piracy Measures a Boost to GNU/Linux

Analyst: Microsoft anti-piracy efforts to backfire

,----[ Quote ]
| While it's true that losing people who aren't paying for the software
| is arguably a good thing for Microsoft, it's certain to cause an uptick
| over time in Linux's market share. "We don't think this is a pure
| win for Microsoft," IDC analyst Al Gillen said. "This is going to
| accelerate the Linux market as well."
`----

http://www.itnews.com.au/newsstory.aspx?CIaNID=43614&eid=1&edate=20061215

Related:

Microsoft seals its Windows and opens the door to Linux

,----[ Quote ]
| Now comes the really interesting question. With Vista's activation
| technology, Microsoft has the power to stamp out piracy everywhere. But
| will it choose to do so everywhere? After all, if folks in China or
| Thailand or Ethiopia have to pay for Vista, they won't be able to run
| it because they won't be able to afford the licence fee. In which case
| they may finally wake up to the attractions of free software such as
| Linux - and it's easy to imagine what that will do to Microsoft's
| plans for world domination.
|
| It's a delicious prospect: Microsoft impaling itself on the horns
| of a dilemma it has created for itself. Roll on Thursday.
`----

http://observer.guardian.co.uk/business/story/0,,1956941,00.html

NY Times bans Microsoft analysts from Microsoft stories

,----[ Quote ]
| Part of the problem stems from the reticence of companies such as
| IDC and Gartner to reveal their clients. That should make everyone
| ^^^
| nervous, but it doesn't. So called objective technology publications
| keep publishing material bought by vendors without telling you this.
| They're also too lazy or scared to ignore the likes of Gartner and
|                                    ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
| IDC until the firms change their disclosure rules.
| ^^^
`----

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2006/12/15/nytimes_ms_ban/

IDC thinks Microsoft will drive people to Linux
^^^

,----[ Quote ]
| It has 10 main predictions for 2007, but numbers nine and 10
| affect Microsoft. It reckons Microsoft's anti-piracy efforts on
| client operating systems will backfire, and that will drive
| customers towards Linux.

Demand for Blades and High-End Systems Drives Server Market Growth (IDC)

,----[ Quote ]
| Linux server revenue was $1.5 billion for the quarter
`----

http://www.linuxelectrons.com/News/Hardware/Demand_for_Blades_and_HighEnd_Systems_Drives_Server_Market_Growth

Open Source Impact on Software Innovation Outweighs Impact on Pricing, Says
IDC
^^^

,----[ Quote ]
| The open source software phenomenon has spread far beyond Linux
| and is gaining enormous momentum, according to an IDC study of
|                                                   ^^^
| over 5,000 developers in 116 countries, representing 38 developer
| networks. The analysts found open source software being used by 71
| percent of the developers in the world and in production at 54 percent
| of their organizations. Half of the global developers claim that the
| use of open source is increasing in their organizations.
`----

        http://www.tekrati.com/research/News.asp?id=7614

Open source heads for global domination

,----[ Quote ]
| The open source software phenomenon has spread far beyond Linux and is
| gaining "enormous momentum", according to a report from IDC.
|                                                         ^^^
|
| [...]
|
| "The use of open source beyond Linux is pervasive, involving almost
| three-quarters of organisations and spanning hundreds of thousands of
| projects, " said Dr Anthony Picardi, senior vice president of global
| software research at IDC.
|                      ^^^
|
| "Although open source will significantly reduce the industry opportunity
| over the next 10 years, the real impact is to sustain innovations in mature
| software markets thus extending the useful life of software assets and
| saving customers money."
`----

http://www.vnunet.com/vnunet/news/2162334/open-source-lauded-important

IDC pronounces Linux unimportant to European economy
^^^

,----[ Quote ]
| A recent IDC white paper on the economic impact of Microsoft's super
| soaraway new Vista operating system seems to be lacking one crucial
| ingredient -- other operating systems.

How Piracy Opens Doors for Windows

,----[ Article's summary ]
| Bill Gates may not be entirely dismayed by software thieves. They
| seed the world market and make Microsoft a standard.
`----

http://www.latimes.com/business/la-fi-micropiracy9apr09,0,414067.story?track=tottext

Easy Way to Bypass Windows Genuine Advantage

,----[ Quote ]
| How to bypass Windows Genuine Advantage easily without patches or scripts
`----

http://www.youareadopted.com/wga/wga-bypass.html

Hackers Crack Microsoft's Antipiracy System

,----[ Quote ]
| Windows Genuine Advantage system first exploited within 24 hours of
| its launch
|
| [...]
|
| A posting on the  Boing Boing blog claimed that a JavaScript command
| string could bypass a check that Microsoft instituted Wednesday through the
| Windows Genuine Advantage 1.0 program.
`----

http://www.pcworld.com/article/id,122058-page,1/article.html

Illegal KMS server appears on the Internet

,----[ Quote ]

`----

http://windowsconnected.com/blogs/joshs_blog/archive/2006/12/03/illegal-kms-server-appears-on-the-internet.aspx