Re: [News] Business Software Alliance Starts Piracy Crackdown in China (Good News for Linux)

  • Subject: Re: [News] Business Software Alliance Starts Piracy Crackdown in China (Good News for Linux)
  • From: flatfish+++ <flatfish@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 16 Dec 2006 21:54:19 -0500
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
On Sat, 16 Dec 2006 21:34:29 -0500, amicus_curious wrote:

>> China signs agreement to crack down on piracy
>>
>> ,----[ Quote ]
>> | Bill Gates, however, voiced his "optimism" at the beginning of this year
>> | that software piracy in China should be mostly under control within ten
>> | years. If the NCA actually follows through with this agreement though,
>> | such resolution to piracy issues in the country may come sooner than
>> | later.
>> `----
>>
>> http://arstechnica.com/news.ars/post/20061215-8430.html
>>

>> For context:
>>
>> How Piracy Opens Doors for Windows
>>
>> ,----[ Article's summary ]
>> | Bill Gates may not be entirely dismayed by software thieves. They
>> | seed the world market and make Microsoft a standard.
>> `----
>>
>> http://www.latimes.com/business/la-fi-micropiracy9apr09,0,414067.story?track=tottext
>>

>> Microsoft seals its Windows and opens the door to Linux
>>
>> ,----[ Quote ]
>> | Now comes the really interesting question. With Vista's activation
>> | technology, Microsoft has the power to stamp out piracy everywhere. But
>> | will it choose to do so everywhere? After all, if folks in China or
>> | Thailand or Ethiopia have to pay for Vista, they won't be able to run
>> | it because they won't be able to afford the licence fee. In which case
>> | they may finally wake up to the attractions of free software such as
>> | Linux - and it's easy to imagine what that will do to Microsoft's
>> | plans for world domination.
>> |
>> | It's a delicious prospect: Microsoft impaling itself on the horns
>> | of a dilemma it has created for itself. Roll on Thursday.
>> `----
>>
>> http://observer.guardian.co.uk/business/story/0,,1956941,00.html
>
> This lullaby has been sung many times here in the recent past, but I still
> find it curious that the Linux advocates here seem to find solace in the
> notion that many people will convert to Linux as soon as it becomes
> impossible to steal something more desirable.

Isn't that a pip?

Linux is FREE.

Yet,,,,,people would rather go through all the trouble to pirate Windows
and it's applications, risk getting caught, put up with upgrade problems
and a host of other problems rather than use Linux.

Nothing will change when China cracks down on piracy because it will just
end up like the rest of the world where people would rather PAY for
software than use Linux, which is free.

Articles like Roy posted sure make Linux look pretty bad.