[News] Microsoft Patents the Smiley

Microsoft Deems Emotiflags Patent-Worthy

,----[ Quote ]
| Microsoft said you could count on them to improve patent quality.
| For an example of how they're raising the bar on innovation, check
| out this just-published patent application for Emotiflags, which
| Microsoft explains solves the problem of indicating an emotion
| associated with an email message. At the risk of infringing on the
| patent, this one Makes Me Mad!"
`----

http://yro.slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=06/12/16/038207&from=rss

Yesterday:

Microsoft patent hints at pay-as-you-go OS

,----[ Quote ]
| A Microsoft patent application from June 2005, published only today,
| titled "System and method for delivery of a modular operating system"
| may signal a fundamental change for what an operating systems stands
| for and how it is sold.
`----

http://www.istartedsomething.com.nyud.net:8080/20061215/pay-as-you-go-os-patent/

Fun with Google Patent Search: Why does the maker of Windows hold a patent on
a door hinge?

,----[ Quote ]
| The patent was granted in 1998 and received a dribble of publicity
| in 1999, but I'm hard pressed to find any meaningful explanation for
| a door hinge being in the control of the company that made Windows famous.
`----

http://www.networkworld.com/community/?q=node/9721

A couple of weeks back:

Big businesses boast of patent benefits, for small businesses

,----[ Quote ]

`----

http://www.pcpro.co.uk/news/99155/big-businesses-boast-of-patent-benefits-for-small-businesses.html