Re: OpenOffice to Launch More Quickly

  • Subject: Re: OpenOffice to Launch More Quickly
  • From: "Larry Qualig" <lqualig@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: 15 Dec 2006 08:43:22 -0800
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
Roy Schestowitz wrote:
> OpenOffice gets pre-load, update notification
>
> ,----[ Quote ]
> | Programmers released OpenOffice.org 2.1 on Tuesday. The version
> | that a feature for Linux machines called Quickstarter, which
> | preloads the office suite into memory so it launches faster
> | when a user chooses to run it.
> |
> | [...]
> |
> | In addition, the new version includes an improved notification
> | system that alerts users to new versions of the software.
> `----
>
> http://news.com.com/2061-10795_3-6143359.html
>

> Trolls/shills who say that Microsoft Office starts more quickly than
> OpenOffice should realise that they have libraries which reside in memory
> and are loaded at startup.

Bullshit. At one time there was an "Office Quickstart" or something
like that but that was optional and hasn't been a part of MS-Office for
several releases. There are *NO* Office libraries that are loaded at
startup. The startup performance is real, it is not some preloading
trick. That trickery is no longer used or needed.

> OpenOffice (and Linux) has that capability too.

Yes... some distros do pre-load certain apps (OpenOffice, Firefox,
Gimp) at startup. It's basically doing the same "cheating/trick" that
MS-Office once did several years ago.