Re: [News] Linux Photo Managers - So Much Choice

__/ [ Handover Phist ] on Thursday 14 December 2006 22:37 \__

> On 2006-12-14, Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>> Top Linux photo managers side-by-side
>>
>> ,----[ Quote ]
>>| We'll take a look at DigiKam and F-Spot, then examine some
>>| lesser-known alternatives, including Google's proprietary Picasa.
>> `----
>>
>> http://applications.linux.com/article.pl?sid=06/12/06/158220&from=rss
>>
>> Gwenview and Pixie are not even covered.
>
> I bought my first digital camera 6 years ago. 2 meg storage with an
> additional 32 meg via card, at 640x480. It attached via serial port.
> There never has been support for it in Linux, and the Windows software
> was really crappy.
>
> Bought a Kodak EasyShare C743 and plugged it into the Linux box, it
> recognised it and offered to download the photos for me. Windows did
> pretty much the same.
>
> I'm really happy with the results. Linux recognises the formats easily
> and has better media viewers than Windows.

I set up bash script for mine, so I just click an icon on my desktop and all
the transfers and labelling are pretty much automated. The other option is
to plug and then drag-and-drop, which is slower. The HotSync-type approach
seems magical. *smile* I never launched DigiKam (it's installed by
default)... I use Gwenview and have Picasa installed (rarely used).

--
                        ~~ Kind greetings and happy holidays!

Roy S. Schestowitz      |    "On the eighth day, God created UNIX"
Tasks: 123 total,   1 running, 120 sleeping,   0 stopped,   2 zombie