Re: [News] Microsoft Astroturfers (Analysts) in Mainstream Media

Roy Schestowitz wrote:

> ,----[ Quote ]
>| Instead of inspiring actual interest in a grassroots
>| fashion, Microsoft has resorted to spreading fake grass,
>| crafting each site to suggest the appearance of something
>| other than the advertisement it is.
>|
>| This is similar to the scam Microsoft pulled with its own
>| imitation of Apple's Switchers ad campaign. Titled
>| "Confessions of a Mac to PC Convert," the ad portrayed a
>| professionally dressed woman complaining about her Mac,
>| but ended up being a canned picture pulled from stock
>| photography and voiced by a professional writer.
>|
>| Similarly, Greenpeace staffers have assigned to post
>| astroturf comments on websites saying "I'm a Mac user and
>| gosh darn it I think that Greenpeace is alright with all
>| their concern about the ecology!" More on that scam later!
>|
>| One would expect a certain level of interest and
>| excitement out of Microsoft's own users, but that isn't
>| really happening. Nearly every Zune site on the web is
>| carefully stepping around the piles of problems to spend a
>| lot of time on Microsoft supplied bullet points, including
>| the "celebration of music," the slightly larger or at
>| least stretched display, and how wireless DRM sharing is
>| such a brilliant idea.
> `----
>
> http://www.roughlydrafted.com/RD/Home/9F60D74A-0E27-4F5F-B88
> D-835974628809.html

I had a rough idea but didn't know the exact meaning of
"astroturfing".  Thanks, now I know.

I asked my daughter about Zune.  She is not interested.
Concerning vendor lock-in, it only supports Microsoft.  iPod is
more flexible and is not limited to Apple's iTunes website.
Thus, she wants an iPod.

Meanwhile, I am working on getting her 30 GB Creative Zen Nomad
Xtra to work in Linux.

--
HPT