Re: [News] Dell Sells Linux-ready Laptops (No O/S)

__/ [ Mark Kent ] on Thursday 14 December 2006 07:06 \__

http://www.dell.com/content/products/features.aspx/nseries_nb?c=us&cs=04&l=en&s=bsd&%7Eck=mn

>>> Umm, interesting.  In wonder if they've given the FreeDOS guys the info
>>> they need to write DOS drivers for the laptop?
>>
>> Haha. I suspect that the stampede of people who requested a refund for the
>> Windows tax became overwhelming**. So ,this is just their way to say
>> "we've tested this with Linuxes and BSD's, but it ain't 'naked', so
>> Microsoft will care less".
>
> "... not care less ..." presumably?  Like not give a monkey's, or not
> give a t*ss, and so on.
>

>> **Remember that recent EULA and camera story from Britian? It got people
>> as far away as San Franciso demonstrating and requesting an O/S refund.

I wrote this before I realised (both from Digg.com and from this threat) that
the price for an 'Open Source' offer is higher. How can less cost more? If I
request a burger without anything but the roll, will this be more expensive?
Only if there's a conspiracy... now Dell has got an excuse. Nobody can argue
that they forcefeed Windows... at the same time, you know... they make the
PC industry the subject of mockery (the spyware and c**p they preinstall is
clearly not worth an XP licence + ~$100).

See if you like my latest post...

http://boycottnovell.com/2006/12/14/developers-still-flock-to-open-source-software/

The videos are good, I think. We have gained some reputation across the Linux
world... not so much 'reputation' among Novell's management and Microsoft
apologists (some of which use/deploy GNU/Linux).

--
                        ~~ Kind greetings and happy holidays!

Roy S. Schestowitz      |    /earth: file system full