Re: [News] BEA Cuts Out the Operating System

__/ [ Mark Kent ] on Wednesday 13 December 2006 17:29 \__

> begin  oe_protect.scr
>> BEA to run Java sans operating system
>>
>> ,----[ Quote ]
>>| In BEA's case, it created software called Liquid VM. Liquid VM is an
>>| addition to the company's JRockit Java virtual machine, which runs
>>| directly on VMware's hypervisor.
>>|
>>| That virtual machine allows Java programs to interact with hardware
>>| servers without the need for an operating system, according to Stephen
>>| Hess, director of product management for the WebLogic Platform.
>> `----
>>
>> http://news.zdnet.com/2100-3513_22-6142172.html
>
> Um, how is that cutting out the OS?  Or do we now consider that the OS
> underneath the VM technology somehow doesn't count?

That's exactly what I thought. I think they just tried to grab a headline. A
bit like "the PC is dead", "the Internet is doomed"...

A BEA executive spread some anti-Open Source FUD recently (in self defence of
course)... but I see they do Linux, too. This morning I found:

BEA Announces Latest Releases of Industry's Leading Foundation for Enterprise
Java and SOA

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://www.prnewswire.com/cgi-bin/stories.pl?ACCT=104&STORY=/www/story/12-13-2006/0004490512&EDATE=

--
                        ~~ Kind greetings and happy holidays!

Roy S. Schestowitz      |    "Avoid missing ball for higher score"
         run-level 5  Oct 18 14:45                   last=S