Re: Questioning the State of Bugs/Experience in Vista

Roy Schestowitz wrote:
> Just One Question For Vista: Does It Simply Work -- Like An Apple?
>
> ,----[ Quote ]
> | Jim Allchin responds over on his blog regarding a recent news report
> | quoting him as saying that he would have bought a Mac if he weren't
> | working for Microsoft in an email to Steve Ballmer and Bill Gates.

http://tinyurl.com/veh3n
Better perspective.

And by the way, isn't Allchin retiring this year?
http://www.findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_zdpcm/is_200509/ai_n15351960

Ore has he delayed his retirement?
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/11947922/

It looks like, about the time Vista is released, Allchin will get his
wish and will have the freedom to go buy a Mac.

I think even Microsoft is beginning to realize that it needs Linux to
compete with Mac.
The OEMs are not willing to go with a "Vista Only" solution anymore.
It leaves companies like Dell, HP, and Lennovo completely vulnerable to
Apple's growth.

> | [...]
> |
> | So the challenge for Microsoft, and in some ways to an even larger
> | extent Allchin himself personally, is to ship Vista in a state that
> | is as bug free as the Mac.

> | Vista is Allchin's final legacy at Microsoft. After a long successful
> | career this is his last hurah and in order to be successful it simply
> | must be perfect.

The problem for Allchin is that Longhorn became a Steer and by the time
it became Veal, they called it Vista, and should have called it
"Mirage".

A Mirage is an optical illusion I was very familiar with from driving
across the desert portions of Colorado, New Mexico, and Arizona.  The
heat rising from the sand make it look like the mountains are much
closer than they are, and that there is a large lake just a mile or two
away.  But if you follow the mirage, even in an automobile, you think
you would get to the lake any minute, and yet you never make it.

Allchin is beginning to have that same uncomfortable experience.  It
took almost 12 years to deliver the features it promised with Windows
NT.  Could it take another 12 years to deliver on the promises made
with Longhorn?  Perhaps it would take another 12 years for Windows to
be "A better Linux than Linux", but by then Linux will be that much
better as well.

> http://biz.yahoo.com/seekingalpha/061213/22341_id.html?.v=1

> Related:
>
> Life with Vista - Is this dogfood really for the dogs?
>
> ,----[ Quote ]
> | I'm an absolute freak when it comes to .NET technologies. My blog
> | is called the ".NET Addict", so it should be pretty obvious that
> | the day Vista's RTM build came out, I downloaded it and installed
> | it on every Vista-capable machine I had in my possession. I've
> | been using Vista for several weeks now and I've come to a couple
> | of conclusions that I think might startle and shock some of you.
> `----
> http://dotnetaddict.dotnetdevelopersjournal.com/vista_dogfood.htm

This isn't such a big surprise.  Most corporate purchasers don't jump
into a new release, regardless of what it is.  It can take over a year
to make the transition, and usually, by then, service packs, support
packs, fix packs, and other updates have provide bug fixes.

> Vista Breaks Applications
> ,----[ Quote ]
> | The big secret at Redmond is that existing applications and new
> | products will not work with Vista.

This isn't that surprising.  Each new release of Windows breaks some
3rd party applications.  Many competitors have even been able to show
that Microsoft deliberately broke their applications.  When Microsoft
enters new markets, they wipe out the established players by using
"torpedos" to wipe out the competition.  A "torpedo" is a very subtle
change in the calling interfaces which breaks 3rd party applications,
but cannot be easily identified.

Often Microsoft will even use a series of torpedos released with
service packs or security updates to wipe out updated applications
which have figured out what Microsoft has done in the previous torpedo,
and corrected.

This year, we can look forward to a number of broken favorites.
Rhapsody, Symantic Antivirus, McAffee Antivirus, Google desktop, and
most of the other favorite third party applications which Microsoft has
decided to replace with their own Shovelware.

What won't be broken is the $300-$700 applications sold by Microsoft,
and the software from companies who pay Microsoft 25% of their gross
revenue (you don't think Microsoft wants a piece of their NET do you?).