Re: [News] Linux Boxes (FC6) with Commercial Games Preinstalled

  • Subject: Re: [News] Linux Boxes (FC6) with Commercial Games Preinstalled
  • From: The Ghost In The Machine <ewill@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 13 Dec 2006 15:09:32 -0800
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
In comp.os.linux.advocacy, Oliver Wong
<owong@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
 wrote
on Wed, 13 Dec 2006 16:52:20 -0500
<pC_fh.77390$aJ6.700739@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>:

> "The Ghost In The Machine" <ewill@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message
>> In comp.os.linux.advocacy, flatfish+++
>> <flatfish@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
>> wrote
>> on Wed, 13 Dec 2006 14:03:36 -0500
>> <P7Yfh.16$6p1.9@xxxxxxxxxxxx>:

>>> Never heard of em'.
>>> They are going to go broke with a lineup like that.
>>>
>>> Maybe they should market it as a "retro game computer" ?
>>>
>>> They could target the baby boomers with ad copy like "remember your first
>>> game of pong?"
>>> Relive the good old days with Linux games!!
>
>     I've heard of Creatures (not my thing), Hyperspace Delivery Boy (low
> budget game, FWIR), Postal 2, X2, and Cold War. Of that list, Cold War is
> the most interesting to me. They claim that this package has a $350 value,
> but I think they just took the price of each individual software package and
> summed them up. The value is, of course, completely subjective, and to me,
> it would be closer to $50. That is, I'd essentially be willing to pay $50
> for Cold War plus 11 "bonus" games.

I've not heard of any of them, frankly.  One might play
"guess the genre" (Candy Cruncher sounds like a silly/fun
2D scroller, for example; X2: The Threat is probably a
turn-based game with lots of artwork), but that's all I
can do without further research. :-)

>> Top games according to http://games.ign.com/topgames/ .
>>
>> 1. Halo 3.  Xbox 360.
>> 2. Legend of Zelda: Twilight Pincess.  Wii.
>> 3. Gears of war.  Xbox 360.
>> 4. Super Smash Bros. Brawl.  Wii.
>> 5. WWE Smackdown vs. Raw 2007.  PS2.
>> 6. Tom Clancy's Rainbow Six: Vegas.  Xbox 360.
>> 7. Lost Planet: Extreme Condition.  Xbox 360.
>> 8. Mass Effect.  Xbox 360.
>> 9. Call of Duty 3.  Xbox 360.
>> 10. Final Fantasy XII: Revenant Wings.  Nintendo DS.
>
>     Interesting. I didn't think the Xbox360 would do so well.

Neither did I; it's a little annoying. :-)

> I wonder what
> metric they are using to rank these games.

I wonder that myself.  The list does not explain or provide a link.
Each game is individually clickable (not obvious unless one mouses
over the title in the list, since they're not underlined).

> The fact that classics like
> Half-Life 2 or Neverwinter Nights are not present on the list indicate this
> is probably a list of "top 100 recently released games", which would explain
> the strong bias towards the most recently released platforms like X360 and
> Wii.

I'd say that's a good guess, absent more info.

>> It is possible that all Xbox360 games can be played on a modern
>> Vista-capable PC (and I know Halo 3 has a variant for Windows), but the
>> highest ranking PC game is
>>
>> 68. Medieval II: Total War.  PC.
>>
>> Nexuiz and Unreal Tournament are not on the list.
>>
>> Platform counts:
>>
>> Xbox 360: 30
>> Wii: 24
>> PlayStation 2: 16
>> PlayStation 3: 9
>> Nintendo DS: 6
>> GameCube: 4
>> PC: 4
>> PlayStation Portable: 3
>> Xbox: 2
>> Nintendo 64: 1
>> PlayStation: 1
>>
>> Pretty impressive for a modified PC which was initially offered as a
>> loss-leader. :-)
>
>     That's one way of looking at it. Another is that it's somewhat
> disappointing for a christmas launch of a product chrissened with the name
> "PlayStation 3". You'd think it would live up to the legacy established by
> the PS2...

PS3 has had problems in production, with short supplies.

>     I'm surprised that the PC and the DS ranked so lowly, though, which
> makes me question again what metric was used to rank them.

Aye.

>> The top 10 games of 2005 do offer Linux variants.
>> DROD: Journey to Rooted Hold, Professor Fizzwizzle, and Tribal Trouble
>> indicate Linux as one of the OSes.  Some of the rest might be
>> playable in WinE but there's no way this site would know. :-)
>>
>> http://www.gametunnel.com/articles.php?id=412
>
>     Hmm... given that their number 1 game of 2005 is "Oasis", I suspect that
> the award name is a misnomer. This isn't a list of the top 10 games of 2005,
> but the top 10 *independent* (i.e. not backed by a professional publisher)
> games of 2005.

Oops.

#191, ewill3@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Useless C++ Programming Idea #12995733:
bool f(bool g, bool h) { if(g) h = true; else h = false;  return h;}