Re: [News] Belkin Does Linux Phones

__/ [ BearItAll ] on Wednesday 13 December 2006 09:52 \__

> Roy Schestowitz wrote:
>
>> Linux-based WiFi phone uses open-source connection kit
>>
>> ,----[ Quote ]
>> | Belkin is shipping a WiFi phone based on Linux and Skype's proprietary
>> | VoIP (voice-over-IP) client. The Belkin WiFi Phone for Skype can use
>> | open or encrypted WiFi networks, and connects seamlessly at
>> | commercial hotspots and hot zones operated by Boingo, Belkin says.
>> `----
>>
>> http://www.linuxdevices.com/news/NS3218543419.html
>
> I got a look at the skype video phone working the other day. Last time I
> saw it it was very out of sync, which you expect from these things, so you
> tend to turn the video off after the introduction because it is too off
> putting.
>
> But the skype web must have grown huge because the video-voice sync was
> almost spot on on the one I watched.

I have been seeing some Skype phones as well and they are Linux-based. It
seems like a natural fit where you produce many units and don't want to pay
royalties or be restricted when implementing (the Windows embedded platform
is a 'look but don't touch', IIRC). I spotted your post in the other thread
and I'll try to reduce the posting pace or join related items. Sorry about
that... never intended to be a handful... only to defeat myths and
disinformation, of which there's plenty.

--
                        ~~ Kind greetings and happy holidays!

Roy S. Schestowitz      |    Useless fact: Florida is bigger than England
 10:00am  up 55 days 20:14,  8 users,  load average: 1.25, 1.01, 1.20