Re: [News] Over 12 Million Windows Boxes are probably Pwned

__/ [ Kelsey Bjarnason ] on Wednesday 13 December 2006 03:35 \__

> [snips]
>
> On Wed, 13 Dec 2006 02:27:11 +0000, Roy Schestowitz wrote:
>
>> If Only We Knew Then What We Know Now About Windows XP
>>
>> Microsoft Windows: Insecure by Design
>>
>> Why Windows is a security nightmare.
>>
>> The Structural Failures of Windows
>>
>> Security Report: Windows vs Linux
>
> Ya know, these news posts are usually pretty interesting, but this one is
> just so old hat.  I mean, by this point, isn't pretty much everyone clear
> on this, that Windows, as far as security is concerned, simply sucks?  How
> is this news? :)

Smiley noted.

My motive for appending these references (time and time again) is the
assumption that a drop-by reader or a searcher will lack context. Also, what
we already know for sure is often eclipsed by FUD and makering, commonly the
result of mainstream media, MVP's, and shiny pamphlets. Everything below
"related:" is just contextually related. That's one of these valuable traits
of the Web. Not only can you provide some textual reference to a textbook,
but you can also provide a short summary while the full article is a just
click away. I think it also helps organisation because you are left with
conceptual 'blobs' of information.

Mainstream media is still very afraid of blaming particular systems through
mentioning of names. That's where anonymous blogs come into play. I can
recall a story about an analyst who got sacked when he blamed Microsoft for
some security issue. The company from which money is funnelled (to media,
analysis and research) holds other companies by the balls.

Blogs that are employer-independent are our only hope (setting aside
Microsoft's present attempt to bribe bloggers)... I even got a short contact
with Ray Ozzie a couple of hours ago... through Microsoft-Watch. Blog are a
type of monster which, just like Open Source/Free software, Microsoft does
not know how to cope with. It cannot trivially /buy/ support or financially
beat its opposition. Also worth noticing (from yesterday /alone/):

INQhack survives Vistability test in Volesville

,----[ Quote ]
| The Vole (Microsoft) supposedly invited The INQ over for tea because
| we are notorious "Microsoft doubters" - and we were accompanied by
| other supposed Vole doubters such as the folk from lifehacker and
| a very nice man from Slashdot, as well as some Microsoft MvPs.

Microsoft desperately wants my love -- and yours

,----[ Quote ]
| I spent December seventh, eighth, and ninth in Seattle as Microsoft's
| guest. Microsoft flew me there from Florida at its expense, put me up
| in a nice hotel, provided decent food, and comped me and four other
| invitees to this "special conference" with presentations about the
| marvels of Vista and other recent or upcoming Microsoft products. They
| didn't quite play the old Beatles song "Love Me Do" in the background,
| but it was the event's unstated theme.

                        ~~ Kind greetings and happy holidays!

Roy S. Schestowitz      | Minesweeper Consultant and Solitaire Expert (MCSE)
Tasks: 142 total,   1 running, 139 sleeping,   0 stopped,   2 zombie