[News] Why Novell's OpenOffice is Indeed a Fork

Novell OpenOffice.org is a Fork

,----[ Quote ]
| During Stafford Masie?s Question and Answer session at the CITI
| forum, he explained how Novell has two streams of Linux products
| - "FOSS" and "OSS", with OpenSUSE and OpenOffice.org being "FOSS"
| and SLE(S|D) and Novell OpenOffice.org being "OSS" Masie goes on to
| say that in their version of Novell OpenOffice, they add extra
| interoperability, backward compatibilty and testing, in addition to
| licensed fonts and graphic rendering engines. These differences are
| in addition to the Open XML support and even more controversial VBA
| support, which may or may not be accepted into OOO?s main branch.
`----

http://boycottnovell.com/2006/12/12/everyone-apologize-to-pj/

There's more discussion about Novell's 'survey' at:

Novell and Microsoft insist customers just love their deal

,----[ Quote ]
| I've just noticed that only 67% of all respondents were already
| aware of the agreement between Microsoft and Novell. The remaining
| 33% based their opinion of the deal on the following provided
| statement:
|
| "On November 2nd, Microsoft and Novell announced a set of broad
| business and technical collaboration agreements to build, market,
| and support a series of new solutions to improve interoperability
| for customers and make Novell and Microsoft products work better
| together. The two companies also announced an agreement to
| provide each other's customers with patent coverage for their
| respective products."
`----

http://www.businessreviewonline.com/os/archives/2006/12/novell_and_micr_1.html

Questions I'd like to see asked about the Microsoft-Novell deal

,----[ Quote ]

`----

http://blogs.zdnet.com/microsoft/?p=145