Re: Linux is Nothing to Worry About, Unless You're Microsoft

Roy Schestowitz wrote:
> Learn to Stop Worrying and Love Linux
>
> ,----[ Quote ]
> | Armed with her guidance and a proven distribution, you can jump in
> | the Linux pool without a lot of worries. In short, all that
> | splashing over which version is the most popular today is just
> | a tempest in a teapot.
> `----
>
> http://cws.internet.com/article/3498-.htm

I found this quote of interest:

| If you look around the blogs this week you can see evidence that
| SUSE, which has been a popular distribution for many years, is in
| danger of losing a share of users to other distributions without any
| Microsoft sweetheart deals. A likely candidate to scoop up a lot of
| those defectors is Ubuntu Linux, which is very popular at the
| moment, and which is barely two years old.

I just got my Windows XP Upgrade installed on primary partition of my
2.93 GHz Celeron system to replace my 1.7 GHz.  I opted for the ATI
Radeon 9500 video with 256 MB, SoundBlaster Audigy, 1 GB RAM.  Next is
getting Debian up and running.

I used Debian to reformat my 160 GB WDC drive into partitions, primary
as 90 GB as FAT32 (to be overwritten as NTFS by XP install) and rest as
EXT3 for Debian.  Next is getting Debian up and running.  I think there
is an option to copy all of root partition existing Debian install on
the 60 GB drive I now have slaved.  I plan to give that a try, since
both chip sets are similar VIA sets.

After that is set up, the 1.7 GHz system will be set up as a Linux
system using the 60 GB I now have slaved to 2.93 one.

Please note, I am not on the bleeding edge of technology, but have one
that is cost effective enough to handle XP gaming bloat and the other
to do work related stuff.

--
HPT