Re: [News] Australia's Largest Satellite Network runs Debian

Roy Schestowitz wrote:

> This appears as news /very/ repeatedly (seen it like a dozen times in the
> past few days), despite the date.
>
> Linux powers nation's largest satellite network
>
> ,----[ Quote ]
> | Some 75 towns across New South Wales have started accessing the
> | Internet through Linux-based satellite routers in what is said to be
> | largest network of its type in Australia spanning upwards of 800,000s
> | quare kilometres.
> `----
>
> http://www.computerworld.com.au/index.php/id;55499617;fp;4;fpid;18
>

> Roy C. posted it here:
>
> http://groups.google.com/group/comp.os.linux.advocacy/msg/9cf377b7897495c2

I think it is a good system for many of us to move towards, getting rid of
the across town cables and using satalite instead.

I see that Sky is giving Internet access as a free service according to
their TV advert at the moment, mind they have to do something, these
multichannel things are not doing very well in britland, even free view
isn't taking off as the government hoped it would.

I think users have worked out by now that the majority of those channels are
sales or dedicated to repeating very old programs over and over again.
Hardly a selling point. In britland we still only have 5 real TV channels,
with all of the others just regurgitating what the main 5 put out.