Re: [News] Prof Derek Keats on Novell's Damage to Software Freedom

Roy Schestowitz wrote:

> UWC ICT chief withdraws threat to Novell
>
> ,----[ Quote ]
> | Since I know this question will be asked, as to whether I have
> | softened my stance with respect to UWC. The answer is "yes" with
> | respect to the action to be taken, but no with respect to whether
> | Novell crossed the line. But this is a qualified "yes", for the
> | time being, but I will not hesitate to take similar action with
> | any company whose products we use and who acts in any way that
> | undermines the free software community.
> `----
>
> http://www.tectonic.co.za/view.php?id=1310

It is hard to know what to do about MS-Novell, if we were to abandon Novell
then MS will get it, I think that is their intention anyway. But if we
continue to support Novell then we might be causing untold damage to the
Open Source community.

I do think that MS want Novell, of all of the distros SLES and SLED are the
most likely to fit into the MS way of doing things. MS have to get back
into the server market, this is their best way from their point of view.
Just have to wait now to see if large scale support for Novell disapears,
then buy them up, if it grows then claim the credit.

SLES and SLED are great milestone distros, I said that before the MS Novell
deal and I still say that in most office situations, but particular for IT
people who until now have only ever used NT, SLES and SLED are their best
option, because it is just so easy for them to set up and maintain.