Re: [News] Microsoft Patents Forced TV Commercials

<newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
 wrote
on Mon, 11 Dec 2006 07:11:50 +0000
<166557562.uqjpA6yNc0@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>:
> Microsoft patents Tivo for commercial breaks
>
> ,----[ Quote ]
> | Microsoft has patented the idea of inserting fresh advertisements
> | into old recordings on personal video recorders, to ensure you see
> | today's ads even if you're watching a recording from last week.
> `----
>
> http://www.itwire.com.au/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=7946&Itemid=1063
>
> It's a general trend. Microsoft becomes Hollywood's cop, forcing and
> introducing MP3 player 'tax', shoving DRM everywhere, concentrating on eye
> candy, VoD...

Wow.  Are they going to let us view the old commercials
too?  I could see this getting very onerous very fast.

(Scene: a widowed grandmother, sitting in front of the TV,
remote on a table nearby, alongside a big tub of popcorn.
A Christmas tree twinkles merrily somewhere nearby.  Oh...
in odd years she goes to the kids' house. :-) )

2006-12-24.  Ah.  I am sitting down with a tub of popcorn
and my favorite movie, "It's a Wonderful Life" [*].  A few
commercials, nothing major.  Hmm...can't skip past them.
Oh well.  Must be a newfangled thing.

2008-12-24.  Time to sit down with "It's a Wonderful Life"
again, I just love that movie.  Hmm...is it me, or are
these commercials fresh?  Also, there's more of them.
Weird.

2010-12-24.  Well, lessee....oh, now this is getting
interesting.  That commercial is brand new.  And is it
me or am I still seeing the old ones as well?  Maybe it's
just as well; I can now brush my teeth in between breaks.
Unfortunately, my popcorn doesn't last as long.

2012-12-24.  I can now shower between commercials.  The bad
news: I now have to.  There's just something about them.
Either that or too much popcorn.

2014-12-24.  I know there's a movie in there.  Somewhere.

2016-12-24.  OK, that's it.  I'm going down to the video
store and renting a DVD.  I can't waste an entire day
watching 2 hours of commercials in between 20 minutes per
segment of actual content, even if I can bake two batches
of cookies during commercial breaks.

What?!...they're ALL OUT???

[*] Actually, my tastes run more along "Star Wars" and
"Men In Black".  But never mind; this is a traditional
viewing for many, presumably. :-)

#191, ewill3@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Linux.  Because it's not the desktop that's
important, it's the ability to DO something
with it.