Re: Novell Pwns System V

__/ [ Jerry McBride ] on Sunday 10 December 2006 21:34 \__

http://weblog.infoworld.com/enterprisemac/archives/2006/12/leopard_server.html

>> "Novell is going to take back ownership of System V UNIX. It supposedly
>> transferred this to SCO, but a Federal Judge found that the contracts had
>> more holes than paper. Novell has leave to contest the agreements, and if
>> SCO goes belly-up while the matter is in debate, Novell's there to snatch
>> up a very valuable property.
>>
>> What's so valuable about System V UNIX? For one thing, it's the core of a
>> multi-billion dollar big iron UNIX industry, and every box sold is a
>> license paid to the owner of System V. For another, Linus Torvalds himself
>> said that if an affordable x86 cut of System V existed, there'd be no need
>> for Linux. And in Novell's hands, System V, SuSE Linux Enterprise Server
>> (SLES) and the freedom to lawfully profit from the Microsoft IP and
>> intelligence in Novell's safe, makes Novell the server market's only
>> triple threat. What will Novell do with all of this power? Search me.
>> Nothing that competitors will applaud, unless Novell decides to bring all
>> UNIX and Linux together to take aim at Microsoft. Two things are certain:
>> Novell is going to get a lot bigger, and System V release 4 UNIX will
>> return to x86. Not the puffy Solaris, but the trim, fast, portable,
>> 64-bit, scalable OS that  is the commercial server standard. Be unhappy
>> about it if you want to, but in the wild in big production deployments,
>> where you see UNIX, you see System V.
>>

> Great... but who will buy it?

Bill Gates' museum of 'computing'. It will be put in the section "Anti-Linux
weaponry". Theme du jour: Laura DiDiot.

--
                        ~~ Kind greetings and happy holidays!

Roy S. Schestowitz     | Vista - Windows for zombies (and human beings)
  1:20pm  up 53 days 23:34,  8 users,  load average: 0.27, 0.48, 0.38