Re: Distro for Exit-level PC

__/ [ ray ] on Saturday 30 December 2006 00:03 \__

> On Fri, 29 Dec 2006 23:27:10 +0000, B Gruff wrote:
>
>> Come on you guys - what can I use?
>>
>> I have a load of junk here that's going to the local tip in a couple of
>> days.  From it (remains of 3 old PCs) I can salvage:-
>>
>> - a desktop case, PSU, floppy, CD readers
>> - several disks, 8GB and 16GB
>> - 2 identical mobos
>> - two CPUs with fans, 200Mhz and 233Mhz
>> - total of 128MB RAM
>> - PCI graphics card, 64MB (and a couple of very old ones)
>> - 10/100 ethernet card
>> - 17" LCD (CRTs are going to tip)
>>
>> In short, I can make up a 233Mhz 128MB machine, with some spares.
>>
>> What can I run as a Linux distro on it?
>>
>> Uses:-
>>
>> 1. It can dual-boot with W98 for demo purposes to friends who currently
>> have
>> W98/ME systems!  Demo of how big a bang one can get from how few bucks, in
>> fact.
>>
>> 2. It will be very quiet, and can be used for overnight downloads etc.
>>
>> 3. A spare machine for a bit of browsing etc by visitors.
>>
>> 4. Possibly as an FTP server or similar for family/friends to swap files?
>>
>> 5. Experiments with "thin client" systems?
>>
>> What do I have to choose from?  Must have GUI.
>

> I've found that Elive runs quite decently on a P166 with 64mb. Debian
> based, Enlightenment powered - this is a Live CD with an install button on
> the desktop. Highly recommend that you try it.

Something that I read today suggests that Elive will have KDE merged. But
lesser hardware can cope with some older versions...

,----[ Quote ]
| "I did install SuSE 7.3 on a Dyme 166 MHz machine with 32 MB installed and
| I used KDE 2.2 from July 2003 to December 2004 to write my documents,
| develop my compiler and browse the web."
`----

http://thebeez.vnunetblogs.com/the_beez_speaks/2006/10/the_unknown_sol.html

About the CRT's, why not just use them for as part of an array? Multiheads
are nice, you just need a graphics card(s). I have two CRT's lying about
because I'm emotionally attached to them... one of them I've had since I was
14.

--
                        ~~ Kind greetings and happy holidays!

Roy S. Schestowitz      | Gas, brake, honk! Honk, honk, punch! Gas, gas!