Re: [News] Linux Torvalds Celebrates Birthday

__/ [ Mark Dodel ] on Thursday 28 December 2006 20:49 \__

> On Thu, 28 Dec 2006 13:02:12 UTC, Roy Schestowitz
> <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
> -> Happy Birthday Linus !
> ->
> -> ,----[ Quote ]
> -> | Today is the day when the whole Linux community can congratulate
> -> | Linus with his Birthday.
> -> `----
> ->
> -> http://www.youtux.org/content/view/181/2/
> ->
> -> When Gates was the same age as Linus, he was already doing so much...
> ->
> -> Not much different from Microsoft...
> ->
> -> ,----[ Quote ]
> -> |     "Some years back, Microsoft practiced a lot of dirty tricks using
> -> | online mavens to go into forums and create Web sites extolling the
> virtues -> | of Windows over OS/2. They were dubbed the Microsoft
> Munchkins, and it -> | was obvious who they were and what they were up to.
> But their numbers -> | and energy (and they way they joined forces with
> nonaligned dummies who -> | liked to pile on) proved too much for IBM
> marketers, and Windows won -> | the operating-system war through
> fifth-column tactics" -> `----
> ->
> -> http://worldcadaccess.typepad.com/gizmos/2005/11/2_grassroots_an.html
>

> The lying sack of crap wintrolls back then did more than just lie
> about how great the next release of wincrap would be, they spread FUD
> about OS/2 under the guise of being OS/2 users.  They lied then, they
> lie now.  They should all die a slow death choking on their own vomit
> along with their puppet master.  microsoft is the lowest of the low.
> They will stoop to anything no matter how illegal or unethical.
>
> Mark

Find of the day (I never know there was a proof /SO/ conrete):

Microsoft 'killed Dell Linux' - States

,----[ Quote ]
| The States' remedy hearing opened in DC yesterday, and States attorney
| Steven Kuney produced a devastating memo from Kempin, then in charge of
| Microsoft's OEM business, written after Judge Jackson had ordered his
| break-up of the company. Kempin raises the possibility of threatening
| Dell and other PC builders which promote Linux.
|
| "I'm thinking of hitting the OEMs harder than in the past with anti-Linux.
| ... they should do a delicate dance," Kempin wrote to Ballmer, in what is
| sure to be a memorable addition to the phrases ("knife the baby", "cut off
| the air supply") with which Microsoft enriched the English language in the
| first trial. Unlike those two, this is not contested.
|
| [...]
|
| Earlier memos described that it was "untenable" that a key Microsoft
| partner was promoting Linux. Kuney revealed that Dell disbanded its Linux
| business unit in early 2001. Dell quietly pulled Linux from its desktop PCs
| in the summer of 2001, IDG's Ashlee Vance discovered subsequently, six
| months after we heard Michael Dell declare his love of Linux on the desktop
| the previous winter.
|
| Compaq was also mentioned in other memos, with Microsoft taking the line
| that OEMs should "meet demand but not help create demand" for Linux.
`----

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2002/03/19/microsoft_killed_dell_linux_states/

That's even better than the non-specific allegations currently voiced in
Iowa's antitrust case. No wonder Gates and others have assistants who nuke
their mail every 7 days (or destroy all traces on a daily basis). Retention
for all employees is now 6 months at most (company's policy).

--
                        ~~ Kind greetings and happy holidays!

Roy S. Schestowitz      | Watch your step, that soapbox is very slippery
  9:05pm  up 71 days  7:19,  6 users,  load average: 1.59, 0.92, 0.79