*nix leads - Microsoft follows Re: Vista Pros and Cons

  • Subject: *nix leads - Microsoft follows Re: Vista Pros and Cons
  • From: "Rex Ballard" <rex.ballard@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: 28 Dec 2006 09:15:44 -0800
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
Oliver Wong wrote:
> "Linonut" <linonut@xxxxxxxx> wrote in message

>     I mean the stuff in
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_new_features_in_Windows_Vista
> except I don't know (and don't particularly care) which ones were already available
> in Linux X years ago.

>     - Oliver

Here's a hint Oliver.  Linux has thousands of features which Micorsoft
still has not adopted, imitated, pirated, or otherwise "innovated".

Microsoft is a corporation which has a very limited R&D budget which is
dedicated to reinventing the wheels of Linux and Unix and adapting them
to Windows.

Linux and UNIX have huge support organizations as well as nearly 25
years of government funded projects including projects from multiple
governments.

I don't really fault Microsoft for wanting to implement the Government
projects for Windows, since they certainly paid enough in taxes.  On
the other hand, there are numerous projects which where funded or
staffed/contributed by Microsoft competitors, including IBM, HP, Sun,
Oracle, DEC, AT&T, Netscape, FSF, Borland, Xerox, and many many others.

It's just insulting that Microsoft can claim that something is an
"Innovation" simply because it has been implemented by Microsoft for
Windows.  In most cases, Microsoft can't even claim that these
"innovations" are even available for Windows for the first time.  In
effect, the ONLY thing that makes them "Innovations" is that this code
is copyrighted by Microsoft.

What gets really insulting is when Microsoft tries to patent software
that has been implemented in open source, using claims made in usenet
and Linux Documentation Project, and claim that they have "invented"
it.

The irony is that Microsoft's executives and numerous other Wintrolls
insist that Windows is superior to Linux, even though they have only
implemented about 20% of the functionality, and have never been able to
achieve the same blend of security, stability, performance,
supportability, compliance with industry and regulatory standards, and
competitive pricing.

Microsoft will create custom benchmarks intended to show some version
of Windows as superior to some version of Windows, but even these
benchmarks are starting to get pretty long in the tooth.  Others allude
to these ancient benchmarks (mostly doctored so that only ONE of these
architectural features came out very marginally better than Linux), and
then try to point at very real and valid improvements to Windows 2000,
Windows 2003, and Windows XP, and soon Windows Vista, and completely
ignore similar improvements in Linux.