[News] When Intellectual Property Costs Life; Open Source Medicine

Scrooge and intellectual property rights

,----[ Quote ]
| A medical prize fund could improve the financing of drug
| innovations
|
| At Christmas, we traditionally retell Dickens's story of Scrooge,
| who cared more for money than for his fellow human beings. What
| would we think of a Scrooge who could cure diseases that blighted
| thousands of people's lives but did not do so? Clearly, we would
| be horrified. But this has increasingly been happening in the name
| of economics, under the innocent sounding guise of "intellectual
| property rights."
`----

http://www.bmj.com/cgi/content/full/333/7582/1279

The idea of Open Source medicine can be discussed in this context.

Software patents/costs = digital divide
Medical patents/costs = life or death

Related:

Salt and Software