Re: [News] Number of Linux-on-Mainframe Applications Up 100% in One Year, 390% Jump in Deployments

Roy Schestowitz wrote:

> Linux-on-Mainframe Apps Up 100%: IBM
>
> ,----[ Quote ]
>| IBM recently reported a 390% jump in mainframe sites
>| running Linux. It says more than 60% of its mainframe
>| revenue is now coming from new workloads, with
>| approximately 20% of the revenue and 30% of the MIPS
>| coming from Linux customers, which is what has the ISVs
>| interested.
> `----
>
> http://issj.sys-con.com/read/317754.htm

This is a positive note.  It goes to show that Linux operating
system has achieve milestone stability and efficiency, making
it suitable for mainstream IT powerhouse server usage.

There has been much argument over the desktop, which is
better, which need improvement, etc., etc., etc.  Purpose for
a desktop is to launch applications.  As long as there is a
sense of organisation and accessibility for the user, it has
met its intent.

The driving force IMHO is for EU independence from proprietary
non-EU derived products.  I believe what we are seeing is the
catalyst, growth will be exponential.

--
HPT