Re: [OT] Roy's wee Xmas message

__/ [ Roy Schestowitz ] on Monday 25 December 2006 10:17 \__

> __/ [ Roy Culley ] on Monday 25 December 2006 06:27 \__
>
>> http://www.oldielyrics.com/lyrics/john_lennon/imagine.html
>>
>> IMHO the lyrics to this song have no peer. The second verse is
>> the poignant one,
>>
>> As Einstein said:
>>
>>     Heroism on command, senseless violence, and all the loathsome
>>     nonsense that goes by the name of patriotism -- how passionately I
>>     hate them!
>>
>> My patriotism, as a Scot, is to beat England at every sporting
>> opportunity. Einstein was a greater man than me. :-)
>>
>> My wish at this festive time for so many (as an atheist I do enjoy
>> this time very much) is that people around the world can shed
>> themselves of the patriotism that so often leads to hate and war.
>> Because patriotism and religion are so inter-linked they are the cause
>> of so much violence in the world today.
>>
>> Sadly, I can only 'Imagine'.
>
> Good quote. And I couldn't agree more!

Addendum:

Check this one out...

http://news.zdnet.com/2100-9595_22-6145862.html

        Worship God not technology

I recently used that patriotism quote (nicely added above), but I can't
recall the context. Oh,. actually, I think I can recall the thread...
something about an MS manager in the UK telling Brits (or at least implying)
that buying Microsoft was their "patriotic duty". Also, I suppose Rex could
tell us a story or two about Microsoft telling him that he did not have the
"Microsoft religion". Yes, apparently it's a cult. Not one which
promotes/accepts/tolerates diversity or freedom (liberty), either.

--
                        ~~ Kind greetings and happy holidays!

Roy S. Schestowitz      |    Coffee makes mw to0 jittery
Tasks: 138 total,   1 running, 135 sleeping,   0 stopped,   2 zombie