Re: Microsoft vs Linux, Monopoly vs upstart

  • Subject: Re: Microsoft vs Linux, Monopoly vs upstart
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 25 Dec 2006 07:16:09 +0000
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
__/ [ ray ] on Monday 25 December 2006 04:02 \__

> On Sun, 24 Dec 2006 22:23:31 -0500, mlw wrote:
>
>> No monopoly has ever had 100 percent control, but has had "enough" control
>> limit or eliminate viable competition while dictating pricing. That was
>> the story with Standard Oil as well as Microsoft Corp.

Very recent... while on the issue of eneregy...

EC can curb Gazprom monopoly says Sweden's Bildt

,----[ Quote ]

`----

http://yahoo.reuters.com/news/articlehybrid.aspx?storyID=urn:newsml:reuters.com:20061218:MTFH81138_2006-12-18_21-51-18_L18130396&type=comktNews&rpc=44
http://tinyurl.com/ybrysx

>> Microsoft, despite conviction sentencing being reduced to nothing under
>> the current corrupt administration, has been proved and convicted of using
>> their monopoly position to reduce or eliminate competition.
>
> I'm sure we'd have seen much better results under previous corrupt
> administrations.

The current US Government is merely inexistent when it comes to all that. In
fact, it gets worse.

US politicians go to bat for Microsoft

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2006/09/26/microsoft_eu_political_lobbying/

Feds seek formal extension of Microsoft antitrust deal

,----[ Quote ]
| The U.S. Department of Justice and Microsoft on Wednesday filed a
| formal application for a two-year extension of portions of their
| landmark antitrust settlement, with the possibility of stretching it
| until 2012.
`----

2012? Say what??

Changing the Report, After the Vote

,----[ Quote ]
| That agreement was nearly imperiled last weekend, though. Gerri
| Elliott, corporate vice president at Microsoft's Worldwide Public
| Sector division, sent an e-mail message to fellow commissioners
| Friday evening saying that she "vigorously" objected to a paragraph
| in which the panel embraced and encouraged the development of open
| source software and open content projects in higher education.
`----

http://insidehighered.com/news/2006/09/01/commission

Sure I could speak in a form other than links, but this just seems more
credible.

>> The world is less because of Microsoft. I worked with Go computing as an
>> ISV, we were trying to support their OS, we saw it as an opportunity. When
>> Microsoft Pen Windows was announced (but never came out BTW) AND Toshiba
>> said they weren't going to support Go (after being coerced by Microsoft),
>> we had to drop the plan to support them because Microsoft was clearly gong
>> to kill them.
>>
>> The ONLY reason why Linux is a threat to Microsoft is that there are no
>> share holders, there are no board of directors, there is no marketing
>> department.
>>
>> Linux exists because there is a need. That alone assures it will last.

It's a bit like indie bands and peer-to-peer. I don't use it personally
(honest!). The MPAA/RIAA c**p their pants because they see a new wave that's
assimilated to the Creative Common and the free culture movement.

Freedom in art does to a greedy industry what free software does to the likes
of Microsoft. It translated to more for less, it bridges economical divides
and it gives control to the people. Come to consider that code, like
music/film costs very little (if anything) to replicate. Sometimes it costs
nothing but time to produce (it's not hardware). Putting a price tag on it
is something that results from opportunity, from greed.

--
                        ~~ Kind greetings and happy holidays!

Roy S. Schestowitz      |    "I blame God for making me an atheist"
  7:05am  up 67 days 17:19,  6 users,  load average: 0.32, 1.34, 0.80