Re: [News] 2006: Year of the Windows... Botnets

__/ [ ed ] on Sunday 24 December 2006 16:07 \__

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2006/12/22/AR2006122200367.html

> i've already been getting spam relating to office 2007. it's killing me
> here. another great thing about open source is that there's no reason
> to tout openoffice since the money is made through contributions,
> there's no money from counter fitting

True. I quite liked the "take the test drive, keep the car" parable that was
popularised in why.openoffice.org and desktoplinux.com.

They used to have that statement before they replaced their sales pitch with
warning about Microsoft's scheme, which locks in people's data after a
predefined trial period (Office 2007, similar to the rationale behind
student discounts from Adobe and Autodesk). Prior to that they used
FUD/scare tactics, arguing that many Office users are using it illegally and
it's time to get legal. This raised concerns similar to those which rebut
FSF's Bad Vista campaign

I have been getting some of these fake Vista offers (SPAM) recently... just
like the press, which remains tuned in to 86 billion (and climbing) spam per
day, seems to suggest... I'm beginning to think about bouncing unrouted
mail. Any thoughts...?

--
                        ~~ Kind greetings and happy holidays!

Roy S. Schestowitz      |    X-No-Archive: No. Stand behind what you say
Mem:    514480k total,   484068k used,    30412k free,     9340k buffers