Re: Jeremy Allison - The Land of "Nothing for free"

On Sat, 23 Dec 2006 10:44:27 +0000, Roy Schestowitz wrote:

> Excellent essay.
>
> The Land of "Nothing for free"

> |The venue
> | was an unbelievably expensive hotel. Even though I was on
> | expenses I balked at asking the company to pay for a room
> | there and found something cheaper (not by much) a few miles
> | down the road.
> `----
>
> http://samba.org/samba/news/articles/low_point/column11.html

A classic example of why Linux and Open Source in general, as a concept,
is going to fail miserably.

IT'S ALL ABOUT MONEY!!!!!!!!!!

Some are making BIG MONEY off of Linux and Open Source.
Others are giving their work away for free.

It won't take long for the tree huggers to figure out that they are being
taken for a ride.

With all due respect to Jeremy Allison (Is he related to Roy Allison per
chance?), he is an idiot and had better wake up before he wakes up
destitute someplace.

I used to see types like him when I worked in the corporate world.
IBM in fact was LOADED TO THE GILLS with that type.
I'm convinced their psychological profile testing identified people like
that.

These were the people who would stay at inexpensive hotels on trips to
save the company money.
Never walk home with so much as a company pencil in their pockets.
Put in all kinds of excessive time at home working for the company and
never charging for it.

They were also, typically the first ones let go when there was a layoff,
or "resource action" as IBM calls it.

Getting back to Jeremy, it's all nice an wonderful that he has this
attitude of "free open and let's save the world" but that only works when
everyone else is playing the same game.

Some are.
An increasing number of people are NOT and that is what makes this kind of
behavior dangerous to one's future.

My advice is get paid what you are worth and stop living like a beach bum
while others are living it up.