Re: [News] Google Still Gaining at Microsoft's Expense

Roy Schestowitz wrote:

> November search usage
>
> ,----[ Quote ]
> | 1. Google had just under 50% of all searches (49.5%); that's a 31%
> | increase in searches.
> |
> | 2. Yahoo!'s market share is 24.3%, a respected 27% increase in searches.
> |
> | 3. Unfortunately for Microsoft their market share seems to be staying
> | under 10% with a year on year market decrease of 12%.
> `----
>
> http://mpwebwizard.com/blog/november_search_usage

Google really have the search business sewn up. Nice and easy to use and it
is very rare I type in the text box and don't get at least one version of
the answer I am looking for.

The adverts are simply results as any other restults, on the list, you can
choose to use them or ignore them. I am much more likely to follow adverts
from this system. I absolutely never follow an advert that flashes at me or
tries to trick me in to clicking it.

Yahoo search is very google-like these days. So much like it that I wonder
if it is powered by google with just Yahoo logo replacing the Google one.

Actually I just did a test because I had a feeling it might be the same, but
my search 'linux is sexy', the first page of results is different and there
was quite a speed difference, around 8M results google and 6M for yahoo.

Microsoft search only found 800,000.

What is interesting is that both yahoo and MS have realised that the google
layout itself is popular, uncluttered 'Just give us the piggin answers'
type interface. They have both copied it.

I was just about to give the MS search layout a bit of praise because of the
picture search (I just found a very old picture of myself that was on one
of my first ever web pages), but then I went into the maps. I think they
have taken the minimalist approach a bit too far because I haven't found
anything I can type into the two little boxes yet that produces a result,
you have to type something in the top box and a postcode or town in the
lower box, but if I put my postcode in, what am I meant to put into the top
box? home, street, my name? Nup, its none of those.