Re: Unbelievable ...

__/ [ Kier ] on Friday 22 December 2006 08:36 \__

> On Fri, 22 Dec 2006 08:14:50 +0000, Peter Kai Jensen wrote:

>> Richard Rasker wrote:
>>
>> [Snip - quick response from OSS developers]
>>
>>> So I want some handy feature, and hey presto! Less than six hours
>>> after I ask for it I have it! And this is by no means the first time
>>> this sort of thing happened.
>>
>> I'm not surprised.  I think it's not uncommon for software developers to
>> sometimes lack the imagination to think up what features users would
>> like.  Not that it would be any problem to implement, but it may just
>> not have occurred to them.
>
> I don't think it's lack of imagination as such. MS and Apple no doubt have
> teams of people whose job it is to find out, or decide 'what users want'.
> This is something  Linux, by and large, doesn't have., and developers can
> only do so much at a time, so they're bound to focus on implementing the
> features they need or want first.
>
> Though I would imagine (not having done any developing myself) that this
> is not the case for all types of app. And of course, Linux has users wjho
> by and large are willing and able to either contribute useful features or
> willing to ask for them. After all, if a dev chucks in everything he
> thinks a user might want, he could end up with something unweildy and
> overblown. Concentrating on the essentials first seems to be a better
> method.

/Au contraire/. The itch-scratch phenomenon is a FOSS thing. In fact,
wishlist items as bug reports (e.g. Bugzilla) are precisely why everyone
gets what they want. Commercial software, on the other hand, often makes
choices quite arrogantly, on 'behalf of' the userbase.

--
                        ~~ Kind greetings and happy holidays!

Roy S. Schestowitz      | Open syntax, Open API's, Open standards
  9:05am  up 64 days 19:19,  6 users,  load average: 1.74, 1.31, 1.02