Re: [News] School District Replaces Macs with Open Source Software

  • Subject: Re: [News] School District Replaces Macs with Open Source Software
  • From: Mark Kent <mark.kent@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 21 Dec 2006 07:20:50 +0000
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
begin  oe_protect.scr
The Ghost In The Machine <ewill@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> espoused:
> In comp.os.linux.advocacy, Roy Schestowitz
><newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
>  wrote
> on Wed, 20 Dec 2006 09:06:50 +0000
><2109314.UTY6JizDcz@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>:
>> __/ [ Mark Kent ] on Wednesday 20 December 2006 07:52 \__
>>
>>> begin  oe_protect.scr
>>> Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> espoused:

>>> Using Windows will /prevent/ students from doing things... fascinating.
>>> Of course, it'll permit all manner of other people to use the machines,
>>> but the requirement is that they come in over the network.
>>
>> I've heard of hospitals becoming a botnets, but not schools. In any event,
>> the decision-maker seems clueless. For the majority of people who use Macs
>> or /wish/ to explore alternatives *gasp* there would at least be Mac
>> options. Isn't learning about choice and exploration? I guess they would
>> rather lock it all down. More like boot camp. Before you know it they'll
>> remove all the drinks (except for Coca Cola) from the vendign machines,
>> including water. Then they'll disable all the faucets.
>>

> Coca Cola will also be removed; the only drinks allowed
> will be fruit joice, in some locales.  (It's an issue
> outside of COLA [!], but basically they're "empty
> calories", with fizz but no protein.  Sucrose has been
> compared to a drug, and certainly it has in a milder form
> than, say, rock cocaine, the ability to accelerate one's
> thinking -- or have kids "bounce off the walls".)

There's been a big push here on getting healthy food into schools.
The "school meals" agenda is a major political one.  They were originally
introduced because so many people were so poor that providing a good
school meal was one way of ensuring that the nation's kids got a decent
meal each day.  Over the years, these migrated from unimaginative and
averagely cooked bland but nutritional meals into unimaginative and
predictable fat-flowing & vitamin free meals, eg., sausages, carrots
and mash in gravy turned into burger & chips with sugary ketchup.

Same for drinks, as you say above...

> As for the faucets, they may have to disable them because
> the pipes are a mess. :-)  Welcome to USA, where the
> jails are overflowing and the schools are breaking down.
> But never mind that, where did you want to go today?

It's not all that different here.  The government is once again looking
at a prison-ship.  Life was so much easier when one could run penal
colonies :-)

> I'll admit to wondering whether Windows should be in
> the schools or not.  Using Windows does make one more
> employable, but I do wonder if the idea of employment
> should be able to know where to point and click on Word,
> or whether one should actually be able to write a coherent
> sentence and figure out how to solve formulas such as
> x^2 - 7x + 4 = 0.
>
> Grammar checkers can only do so much.  (Even freeware ones. :-) )

The generation currently going through school are probably the first for
whom writing is the second choice rather than the first for putting
information "down".

To be beautiful is enough! if a woman can do that well who should demand
more from her?  You don't want a rose to sing.
		-- Thackeray