Re: Novell demonstrates its Linux Desktop 10 in Paris

On 2006-02-02, Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> __/ [Ray Ingles] on Thursday 02 February 2006 13:18 \__
>
>> On 2006-02-01, John Bailo <jabailo@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>>
>>> Well, funny, but you basically described in almost the correct order the
>>> top percentage uses of the computer desktop by the home user.   And the
>>> percentages of "other" activities fall off in very sharp fashion -- that
>>> is, the categories of  "E-mail, Web browsing, gaming, and music (or
>>> other rich media)" account for 90 percent of the usage of a home
>>> computer...
>>
>>  Fortunately, Linux does quite well in three out of four of those. Email
>> and Web browsing are *at least* as good as Windows, and in most cases
>> better from a security perspective. With music, the patent issue's a
>> little annoying but it is possible to quickly install the codecs and be
>> ready to roll.
>

> Referring to media more broadly, ASF, WMA, WMV and a variety of proprietary
> codecs continue to take their toll although there are workarounds, which can

	MP3 is not a real problem. There are many freely available decoders
out there that the end user can point their distribution to. The REAL problem
are the proprietary codecs for which Linux needs to assimilate win32 libs for.
THESE are the decoders that Novell should be creating "legitmate" versions of.

	They're taking the trivial low hanging fruit and then making it out
to be more relevant or meaningful than it actually is.

> be manually installed. Video, however, is being opened (in its own sick way)
> by Google Video while TV, DVD players and the like mean that users are never
> deprived from rich media.

[deletia]

	This so reminds me of Corel. They ranted and raved about tools that
were just part of KDE while not paying any attention to the underlying
device level support issues.

--
	Linux: because everyone should get to drink the beer of their    |||
choice and not merely be limited to pretensious imports or hard cider.  / | \