Re: (Article) Search History and Privacy

__/ [Who Turned Off The Lights?] on Saturday 04 February 2006 17:09 \__

>> __/ [Who Turned Off The Lights?] on Saturday 04 February 2006 16:47 \__
>>
>>> "Roy Schestowitz" <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message

>>> Whewh! I guess it's a good thing I never actually posted to
>>> alt.www.cockroach-cross-dressers-anonymous
>>
>> <sarcasm /> Our news server does not syndicate that one, but it does
>> communicate with alt.www.stupid-idiot.com. Seriously, it does. I thought
>> it
>> was difficult to set up newsgroups back when I was investigating the
>> possibility < http://www.washington.edu/computing/newsgroups/create.html
>>  >.
>>

> On my end, I'd found alt.stupid.idiots which is actually filled with SOME
> normal posts on varying subjects....'least as far as I can see from my
> quick scan.
>
>> Erasing your Google cookie might not be of any use either, even if its
>> (re-)reaction is denied permanently. IP addresses contribute nothing to
>> anonymity and proxies can be tracked back to their origin.
>>

> But they'd have to be really out for your ass to want to go through all
> this trouble? or not?

Depends how often you hop between proxies and whether the proxies retain
their full logs, too. For example, posting anonymously from Google Groups
gives no true anonymity, unless you hijack somebody's Win2000/XP box, which
evidently is an easy task. Any other machine is probably associated with you
somehow, _plus_ you are logged in as a privileged user with an account.

With our news nodes, posting is so restrictive and gives so much away (it
even resolves IP addresses to give the workstation's name), so I might as
well just give up on anonymity altogether. Once my first posting to the
Flash newsgroup leaked to the Web, I just said "What the hack..." and the
rest is history (logged).

Roy S. Schestowitz      |  Anonymity - established 2001, Google Groups
  5:10pm  up 18 days 12:26,  12 users,  load average: 1.05, 0.83, 0.70