Re: Home user and passwords

  • Subject: Re: Home user and passwords
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 04 Feb 2006 19:06:20 +0000
  • Newsgroups: comp.windows.x.kde
__/ [S. Cargo] on Saturday 04 February 2006 18:43 \__

> hopkins wrote:
>
>> I use Suse 10 and am starting to get slightly annoyed with KDE. My
>> installation is still fairly new one, so I have been doing a lot of
>> configuration which needed me to be root. Im more or less setup now but
>> I still find myself doing a little bit of system admin almost every
>> time I use my computer.

I suggest that you log in as root, at least until you get things sorted out
(initial steps of setup and customisation until contented). I only find
myself logging in as root once in a fortnight or so.

>> It is a home computer and I am the only one who uses it. Security is a
>> very low concern of mine and yet I find myself having to type the root
>> passwords about 5-6 times everytime I use my computer. Mostly for yast
>> but sometimes file manager and other tit-bits. Is there no way that I
>> can just do it once for all, or even better remove it completely? I
>> know you will all probably say thats just stupid and a major security
>> risk, but I'm OK with that!

The file manager asks you for root password? Where are you trying to move
files? Are you sure you obey the logical rules which suggest handling files
in your home directory alone? Are you handling files of various different
users? You said you are the only user on the box, so it seems unlikely to be
the case.

>> cheers for reading!
>
> If security is of no concern, why not just log in and run as root
> all the time ?

Not a good idea. It is OK while it's essential (e.g. continuous setup
attempts), but otherwise unnecessary.

> Actually, if you're doing things right you should rarely be
> logging in as root.   Look up 'sudo' (man sudo).
>
> Sudo permits specified users to do things with another user's
> permissions.  This includes root permissions.
>
> Another thing you can use is kdesu.   Alt-F2 will bring up the
> kde run screen.  If you're moving files around type in
> kdesu konqueror  in the text box.  Then enter root password.  Check
> off, 'remember password'.   Clicking enter will bring up a konqueror
> window with full root access.

If you permit no outside access to your computer (e.g. telnet and SSH), as
specified by your firewall rules, perhaps choosing a simple and short root
password is worthwhile? Be cautious however.

Roy S. Schestowitz      |    "Have you compiled your kernel today?"
  7:00pm  up 18 days 14:16,  12 users,  load average: 0.59, 0.93, 0.92